• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire Black Screen

d0nni

Lurker
Feb 5, 2014
Hi there, I've got a HTC Desire at the moment.

Ill start with this:

The screen stopped working there last week.

I've changed the orignal screen since then and replaced it.

This didnt fix the problem. making me think it must be software related.

I've tried setting it back to factory defaults, tried running the recovery (working through the menu blind using youtube videos) and yet still nothing.

Now im not one for giving up handy, and i have tried resetting the phone both ways roughly 15 times each, to which i still get no change.

I would consider possibly buying a new screen on the thought that it could have been faulty itself. however if i was to do this, and it didnt work i would have spent the price of one (now a days) on ebay, meaning that it would be safer buying a new phone in this sense...

I would really like to avoid this.

Also id like to add that when i connect the phone via usb to the computer and power it on, the comp can see the device as removable storage, however the device is shaded out and will not let me into it, im thinking because i havn't selected anything on the screen (for the obvious reason that i cannot see where im selecting) and there are no videos on YT to guide me

Would there be anyone out there to give me any help?

Hi d0nni, and welcome to AF :)

A simple test for the cause: when you power the phone on, do you get the white splash screen? Or if you boot the phone while pressing the "volume down" key, do you see the bootloader screen?

If it was a problem with the android software, you'd still see the splash or bootloader, because it's not running android at that time. TBH if you can't see either of those I think it's more likely to be hardware. It might be that your replacement screen was the wrong type (the early Desires used AMOLED screens, later ones LCD, and they are not compatible with each other), or it might be that it's not the screen itself that's broken but something else.

If you really want to eliminate software as a cause, you could run an RUU (ROM Update Utility). This will completely reflash the phone's software, replacing it with a new, stock set. It will, unfortunately, also erase all of the data from the phone. Assuming you have a GSM model (if the phone uses a SIM card it's GSM) then you can find a collection of different RUUs here: Shipped ROMs. You need to find one which matches your phone's region (and network, if bought through a network and with their software) and must not be an older software version than you were running, otherwise it won't work. If you can't see anything suitable, the official 2.3 upgrade (near the bottom of the page) is compatible with many different brandings of Desire.

The RUU is a Windows executable. To run it, boot the phone into Android, connect to a PC via USB, then run the RUU .exe on the PC. If it doesn't work, try rebooting the phone while holding the "back" button down, which will put the phone into "fastboot" mode, then run the RUU (give it 10-15 seconds to boot if you can't see anything on the screen, so be safe). The 2.3 RUU is inside the zip file, all others are just the .exe. Ignore anything that says "OTA" in the file name - those are Over The Air update files, and no use for this purpose. If you get any errors from the RUU, take a note of them and let us know what they were.

Good luck! Unfortunately I do not think this is software, so expect it not to help, but I've been wrong before.

Upvote 0
Hi there Hadron,

Thanks for the reply. Im going to assume it was one of the earlier ones.. which is annoying cause im pretty sure i ordered an LCD screen then instead of an AMOLED. The reason im saying this is cause of your reasoning behind it, as i cannot see the bootloader or anything any time im booting. i was running under the assumption that it was just one of those things these phones do (black screen) due to the mass amount of threads in relation to this. I will try to get one of these ordered and get back to you. Hopefully it isnt that expensive. :p

Thanks for the response once again.

Upvote 0
Yep, i was online and i can see the difference, i've installed the Sony SLCD screen which has a we extra connector on the back. *doye!* hopefully this other screen will do the trick. the orignal owner of the phone (mother) has long forgot about it, prob assuming ive sold it on as faulty anyway. So after 6 months would be nice to see this we phone working as they are meant to be a nice we piece of kit.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones