• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire HD Software Update...

Hi Peeps...

Got an HTC Desire HD and i am loving the phone, absolutely love the phone but i have a small snag which is just bugging me. A friend at work got a HTC Desire HD a day after i got mine but upon talking to him today i have found that he has just got the following update..

Build Number: 1.82.xxx.x

His phone is on contract with T-Mobile and mine is a sim free phone. Is it usually the case that sim free don't get updates as soon as contract phones?

Thanks guys

Twiiz

It's the other way around, Sim Free will get before contract. His Software Version is the T-Mobile branded version of what's on his phone. What happens is HTC will tweak Android so it works with Sense etc, release it to those with unbranded handsets and at the same time, give it to the network operators so they can add their own bloatware.

If you're unbranded, it means your updates will come directly from HTC and his will come from his network provider.

Does your build number begin 1.32.xxx or 1.72.xxxx?

Upvote 0
If you go to settings >> about phone, what are your build number and the version of android?

So long as it says you have android 2.2.1, you're running the latest firmware. The fact that some phones have 1.7x.x.x firmware and some have 1.8x.x.x refers to the different branding, not that one is more recent.

Upvote 0
My details are...

Android: 2.2.1
Build: 1.72.405.3

His is the build 1.8

But when i did a shut down and restart test his was ALOT quicker than mine. But could that be due to the amount of apps i have?

1.84.110.3 is on my T-Mobile DHD and is a build of 2.2.1 that was released quite recently. For some reason sim free phones did not get a 1.84 update, just Orange and T-Mobile as far as I can tell. You don't really want it though as the HTC weather app/widget is broken in this version. It only updates over wifi and not gsm/3g. Everything else seems to work OK though. There is another thread that discusses the issues with the 1.84 build.

Upvote 0
Wait, so they didn't release a patched version soon after? I thought the 2.2.1 firmware was available to everybody.

Not to my knowledge, I'm sure I read somewhere if you sent your handset back they would even reflash to 1.32xxx as there were so many problems with 2.2.1/1.72xxx. I think this was based on hearsay though and not a concrete source.

Edit - This only applies to unbranded handsets. I think a number of branded ones received 2.2.1.

Upvote 0
1.84.110.3 is on my T-Mobile DHD and is a build of 2.2.1 that was released quite recently. For some reason sim free phones did not get a 1.84 update, just Orange and T-Mobile as far as I can tell. You don't really want it though as the HTC weather app/widget is broken in this version. It only updates over wifi and not gsm/3g. Everything else seems to work OK though. There is another thread that discusses the issues with the 1.84 build.

I have 1.84.661.1 Android version 2.2.1 and my HTC weather app/widget works fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones