HTC Desire on TMobile

Last Updated:

1. nando

nando New Member This Topic's Starter

My wife is getting to the end of her patience bidding her time with an old G1 (while she keeps eyeing up my Nexus One). . . she is more than a little interested in the HTC Desire, but as far as I can tell it wouldn't be supported for 3G on TMobile.

Would that be the only issue on TMobile's network? Would the phone just be constantly and irreparably stuck on EDGE? She doesn't seem to mind that, I'm just concern about other unforeseen issues. Does anyone have any direct experience, or more insight?

TIA

Advertisement
  2. b0ng0

b0ng0 Well-Known Member

I have the Desire on T-Mobile and can get 3G, but most of the time is HSPA (or whatever it's called).

Aren't T-Mobile merging with Orange soon anyway?

They have a signal checker on their website where you can put in your postcode and it will tell you what kind of strength you should be getting on 2G, 3G.

3. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Nando, you are in America?

4. mudrock1000

mudrock1000 Well-Known Member

Just get a nexus one, root it and put the Desire rom on it and problem solved unless you are in Europe. THEN i have no idea.

5. nando

nando New Member This Topic's Starter

Oops, sorry guys. . . totally didn't realize that there were any replies.

Yes, we live in the US. So this is a question specific to TMo USA.

Unbelievably this hasn't been resolved yet. . . (from April and it's June now). She's still stuck on the Desire and apparently it's finally been announced to come to the US under a different name.

I am still trying to convince her to let me get her a Nexus before Google stops selling it and the upgrade price goes through the roof.

6. csreborn

csreborn Well-Known Member

You would be crazy to buy a Desire without the 3G bands for the amount of money you're going to have to spend. IMO you've got the right mindset going with pushing her to the N1. I'm assuming the flashy Sense is what's drawing her eye to the Desire.

The Desire was rumored to be going to Canada with AT&T 3G bands under a different name, but then it was reported it was in the system under the Desire. Then it was Southern Cellular(CDMA) supposedly getting it.

Why AT&T didn't lock in an exclusive in the US still boggles me, considering it already has FCC and because of Canada their bands.