• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help htc desire web browser mobile view problem

Eywhin

Lurker
Jun 18, 2010
Hi everyone.
I got my Desire 3 weeks ago. At first everything was okay and the websurfing experience great. But during the last week the browser has been forcing me to view the sites i visit in mobile view, only some of them and unluckily the site i visit the most.

I've had the mobile view setting unticked from the beginning. So thats not the problem. I've also tried to clear all the browser data and reset to default settings many times But nothing works. I'm starting to think that a factory reset is the only option, but I wanted to check if someone else has experienced this and/or knows a solution to this problem.

I hope you van help me. On beforehand, many thanks :D

It occurs that this may be down to the site that you are trying to access in that they have coded into their pages a check of the HTTP_USER_AGENT value, and if they are finding this to be set as the name of a mobile device, they are automatically redirecting you to their "designed for mobile" site/pages.

Try this:

Enter about:debug into the browser address bar and then click go. You should get a blank screen or it will return to the previously loaded page. That is fine.
Now do menu | more | settings
You will find that there are lots more options available.
Scroll down to UAString, and open that. You'll probably find that "Android" is the selected value. Change it to "Desktop", and back out of the menus.
Now try entering the website that you want and see if it shows their main site or their mobile optimised site.

I use the HTTP_USER_AGENT check on a number of sites that I maintain which also have "optimised for mobile" pages as well. But, I do think it is bad practice not to put a link on the mbile landing page to allow the end user to view the main/desktop site instead.
Assuming that this reply works for you, then I would have a go at the owner of the site and get them to change their mobile landing page to allow you to get to their desktop site.

Upvote 0
Hi hawkeye9322,

I know about this option, and thanks, but that's not really the problem. HTC phones has this option built in, hence the ability to tick or untick the 'Mobile View' option. The problem the OP is trying to put across is, that it's no longer working. It used to, now it doesn't. I have recently upgraded to a Sensation XL and am having the same problems. Checking or unchecking the 'Mobile View' option makes no difference. This is really annoying as this feature is something that I love about HTC phones.

Upvote 0
I just got a new HTC Desire X which is very nice, but I've found a strange problem with web browser (both HTC Explorer and Chrome): Some (apparently certain) bookmarked pages are displayed only approx. a second, then the browser closes by itself and you are back on the start menu.
I have not seen the problem described on the net. It's pretty strange. Anyone who has seen the same?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones