• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Droid Eris vs. Nexus One

I played with my friends N1 and loved it, I wish there was physical keys but everything else is great . And you can put sense ui on it since the phone was rooted before it was even released . The camera is amazing on it to , especially the flash no need to own a digital camera if you own a N1 ... The screen is gorgeous, it's very snappy and in my opinion is very nice sleek looking phone

I love my Eris but I will probably sell it and get the N1 as my birthday gift to myself in July :)

Upvote 0
I played with my friends N1 and loved it, I wish there was physical keys but everything else is great . And you can put sense ui on it since the phone was rooted before it was even released . The camera is amazing on it to , especially the flash no need to own a digital camera if you own a N1 ... The screen is gorgeous, it's very snappy and in my opinion is very nice sleek looking phone

I love my Eris but I will probably sell it and get the N1 as my birthday gift to myself in July :)

Some people think I might have received a carp ("dud").. and that I should have tried for an exchange.

If I had the N1 on a good network I may be posting in the N1 forum instead of this Eris one (if the exchange brought me a good N1 ;)).

Upvote 0
Some people think I might have received a carp ("dud").. and that I should have tried for an exchange.

If I had the N1 on a good network I may be posting in the N1 forum instead of this Eris one (if the exchange brought me a good N1 ;)).

One thing I noticed when palying with the N1 was the internet was much slower then my Eris, but I put that more on being on Tmobiles network

Upvote 0
Every aspect of the Eris has a delay and lag, some aspects more than others but it is there. My Eris can NOT keep up with me. My mind works very fast and having to wait even ONE second for menus to come up is unacceptable to me. These delays and lags are present on every aspect of the phone. Some people dont realize it because they seem not to mind having to wait 1 or 2 second for menus to load.

HTC MP3 player widget lags when switching songs. You can press the Next button a few times in a row but it will only move one songs beause it cant process the commands fast enough....simple to change a song there is so much lag.....its really amazing how slow it is. I cant wait for Nexus One on verizon.

My Eris occasionally has a 1-2 second hiccup when opening something, but this is generally immediately after waking it up, or if I'm doing something that processor/memory intensive. Other than that, I see little to no lag with my phone, and yes, I'm used to working with fast machines.

On a related note, surely someone with your speed and brilliance should be able to find ways to correct the lag you claim to experience. Why aren't you over at XDA helping the dev team get this phone rooted?

I'm sure they'd LOVE to have someone like you lending a hand. ;)

Upvote 0
i think those in the know will say the n1 is superior in everyway. it is a fact imo. i like radio want a snappy phone.
when i click an app i want it to launch and be ready to play in 2 seconds. instant would be great but i understand it has to load and connect to the internet sometimes. i also want the animated wallpaper on the nexus one. not too mention its also been rooted! so its basically the phone we all are looking for. i do understand with the eris that are locked in a new contract...sucks!
its precisely the reason i got a family plan, someone is always up for an upgrade :)
and im the only one who cares to keep changing phones.
im going to TRY wait until june to see what other phones come out...
i would love that lenovo Lephone http://www.itp.net/images/content/578836/medium/3334-lenobo-l_medium.jpg but i seriously doubt verizon will get it! :(

Upvote 0
It seems you guys have not used an IPhone or Nexus One. Im being very serious. Every aspect of the Eris has a delay and lag, some aspects more than others but it is there. My Eris can NOT keep up with me. My mind works very fast and having to wait even ONE second for menus to come up is unacceptable to me. These delays and lags are present on every aspect of the phone. Some people dont realize it because they seem not to mind having to wait 1 or 2 second for menus to load.

HTC MP3 player widget lags when switching songs. You can press the Next button a few times in a row but it will only move one songs beause it cant process the commands fast enough....simple to change a song there is so much lag.....its really amazing how slow it is. I cant wait for Nexus One on verizon.

I think the Nexus One is going to totally suck. They are going to have problems with it being too BLAZING fast. It will probably be so fast, information will be fried and lost on the solid state drive.

If my parents would have partied a little more with the meth and cocaine while conceiving me, I might be able to keep up. I am keeping my Moto Razr until the Nexus Two comes out.

Upvote 0
There is simply no reason to get the Eris now that we have Nexus One coming to all carriers and various superior phones coming in the spring. The Nexus One is 3 -4 times faster while the Eris suffers from lag and often frustrating to use because of how slow it is.

You have to understand that the Eris is almost 3 years old. I say 3 years old because the obsolete ARM 11 CPU it uses is so old and slow since its been around for so many years.

Also the Eris is so slow that memory reallocation even slows the phone down more unless you constantly kill apps to free up memory or use a task killer apps.

The Eris really is more of a hassle than its worth just because the delays and slow performance it provides. Try an iphone or a Nexus One and then go back to and Eris....you will throw the Eris against a wall. It really is a completely outdated phone. Yes I own the Eris and will give it away for free once the Nexus One comes to Verizon.

There are always reasons to have different phones. If there wasn't then there would be only one phone available on one carrier. People have different needs and different phones fit different needs. I had the need (want really) for an Android device on Verizon. Like everyone else I had two choices. I chose (as did you) to get the Eris. I like Sense UI and I prefer the smaller form factor. I did not want the Moto Droid because of the form factor and the useless keyboard. I will not want the Nexus because of the form factor and the way it functions. It is too big for me and I was not all that impressed with it. Give me an Eris with 2.0 and root any day.

It seems you guys have not used an IPhone or Nexus One. Im being very serious. Every aspect of the Eris has a delay and lag, some aspects more than others but it is there. My Eris can NOT keep up with me. My mind works very fast and having to wait even ONE second for menus to come up is unacceptable to me. These delays and lags are present on every aspect of the phone. Some people dont realize it because they seem not to mind having to wait 1 or 2 second for menus to load.

I work in an office full of people that love tech, but can't really use it. I end up getting my hands on every phone that comes through the door. I have used every generation of iPhone, all models of BlackBerry, almost everything out there with WinMo on it (including the HD2) and just about every Android device that is available in the US and some that aren't.

IMHO, the Eris can hold it's own against just about every single one of the phones I have used. It has limitations (what man made device doesn't), but I have not seen anything close to what you describe. The Nexus is nice, but it is not all that. My experience with the 2 I had in my hands was very much like Frisco's. I was not all that impressed and both units were returned by the owners. I hope that HTC can get some of the problems worked out before it comes to Verizon.

I have no idea what you are doing with your Eris, but from the way you are describing things you are obviously doing something wrong. I, along with many other users, don't have the problems you describe. I think it is great that your mind works so fast :rolleyes:, but you bought the Eris of your own free will. If it is really as bad as you describe you would either be very dumb for getting a phone that doesn't work for you or really lazy for not doing any research in the first place. If waiting a second for something to happen on your phone is really that big of a deal to you then you will probably walk away disappointed for the rest of your life. You may just want to take the time and ask your mom for some Ritalin. Oh well, I really do hope you get the Nexus when it comes to Verizon, then we don't have to listen to you blather on about your so called facts anymore.:D

BTW, until you stop making personal statements and declaring them as fact you will be looked at as nothing more than a troll. Actually making an attempt to help others wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Upvote 0
I think if we can tweak the processor a bit we'll be able to make the menu-scrolling a bit more fluid. At least I hope so. I have a problem, too, about that split second where I can see the phone at work. I hate that. I've had the same problem with my computers, so that's why I attribute the same feeling I get on my phone to me just expecting too much from my phone. But it always seems everyone else's computer and phone is "blazing fast" while mine isn't slow, but the menus aren't flying by either.

Either it gets fixed with an update or the root, or I just put this on the list of the Eris' short-comings. I realize rooting takes a while and when it comes out, I probably won't be the first to try rooting it, despite the anxiety to at least get the root done, but mentioning "once the Eris is rooted" makes me cringe at how much of a cliche it's become, yet nothing has happened. But the fact is, we'll need to mess with the processor which, admittedly, isn't the best, to get the phone running to the speeds we want. Or at least close to it.

Upvote 0
I've had the Eris about 5 days now. (My brother was using it for 2 weeks before me but he was coming from a blackberry and he couldn't get used to a soft keyboard. I'm having trouble adjusting too, coming from an Env2) I've downloaded a handful of apps. The only lag I've noticed happens when switching the keyboard from portrait to landscape mode, and when using the camera. Besides these two things, this thing is FAST!

I'll probably switch to the N1 just to get the bigger keyboard. I'm a 6'2" guy and pretty good at typing but man, this onscreen keyboard it difficult. I dl'd 'better keyboard' which helped a little. I also want the N1 for the camera flash. Oh yea, that will be sweet. But I'm not looking forward to losing the awesome sleekness of the Eris! (Those live wallpapers look sweet too but maybe they'll come to the Eris with the 2.? update)

(Note: You can improve the lag time between taking pics by about a second by quickly hitting the green shutter button on the right immediately after taking a picture)

Upvote 0
I think they suite the same needs , I think of the Nexus One as more of an updated and Upgraded Eris

Highly illogical. You don't compare a 4 cylinder car to an 8 cylinder car.

Snapdragon processor doubles the speed of the Eris'. But, the Eris is alos a.) much cheaper, and b.) it's on a network that doesn't blow.

I love my Eris. The only negative aspect of it is the slight lag/limitations of the processor, which the Nexus one clearly has. I still like Sense UI, and once we get the upgrade to 2.x, I think it will be just as smooth as the Nexus One, but inevitably will be a bit slower due to science...

Upvote 0
I honestly don't see cost as a factor between the N1 and Eris. We're talking about a device you'll have for a minimum of 2 years and much longer if you wanted. When you add up the monthly phone/data fees in all that time, the initial price difference of 1 or 2 hundred bucks is negligible. I mean anybody who can afford a cell phone + data plan on Verizon (!) isn't worried about this.

Upvote 0
If I had a choice between an Eris and a Nexus, obviously I'd buy the Nexus. However, I already bought my Eris when I renewed my contract, so in order to get a Nexus I would have to pay full price, so I'll live with my Eris. When the Nexus comes out on Verizon, the next best thing will always be right around the corner - it always will be, that's just how it works. Buy the best phone you can that you like the most at the time, and live with it for a while.

There IS ways around this >.>

I setup Family Share plan phones for the Sole purpose of getting a new phone free or very close to free every 4-6 months:)

Additional lines don't get the new every 2 credit, but they still get extremely discounted prices for renewing a contract.

Sure it costs a little more but in the past 4-5 years ive had every new phone that looked cool (even if I barely talk 20 mins a month on the damn thing)

(A610,A650 A670, SE47, KX2, Chocolate, Juke, Glyde, Eris, Alias2, A930 ....just to name a few :))

Upvote 0
Unfair to compare the two phones. Suite different needs.
What the heck are you talking about???? The style of the phones are IDENTICAL and server IDENTICAL purposes. The Eris simply has very old outdated hardware and CPU that cant keep up with the OS and apps while the Nexus One has modern and FAR superior hardware and CPU which is 3-4 times faster. Simply too funny anyone would even think that...lolz.

Upvote 0
What the heck are you talking about???? The style of the phones are IDENTICAL and server IDENTICAL purposes. The Eris simply has very old outdated hardware and CPU that cant keep up with the OS and apps while the Nexus One has modern and FAR superior hardware and CPU which is 3-4 times faster. Simply too funny anyone would even think that...lolz.

1ghz is 3-4x 528mhz? :thinking:

Upvote 0
One more point about why cost shouldn't be a factor when using between the N1 and Eris... Total cost of ownership over the course of two years is going to be between 2 or 3 thousand dollars, depending on your plan. More if you keep the phone for more than 2 years of course. Now if you were picking between two cars, one was $2300 and the other was $2500, would the cost really be a big factor in your decision? Sure, if the cars were almost equal, it would be a factor. But if one of the cars went twice as fast AND got better mileage, the $200 difference would be meaningless, you'd pick the faster/better mileage car. Anyway, I'm still undecided on whether I'll get the N1 when it comes out, but cost won't be a factor. (This argument is assuming the N1 on Verizon will be sold similar to how it's being sold on Tmobile, $179 w/ two year plan. Now if I had to pay the full $500+ for the N1, now money starts to be a factor, for me at least. :) )

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones