• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC EVO compass - mine isn't working so good

Thanks. Your method seemed to work for me. I was surprised.

I know the answer to fix your problem. Every person I know with an android device thinks their compass doesn't work until I show them how to properly calibrate it, then it's 100% perfect. Waving it in a figure 8 pattern isn't the answer. It sounds weird, and it's hard to describe, but believe me it works. I can't remember where I read or saw it, so I just have to try to describe it.

... 1) In the compass app while just looking at the compass, not in the calibrate option, hold the phone flat, parallel to the floor.
2) Then tilt the phone to the right 90 degrees so it's vertical and the left side is on top,
3) then from that position, tilt it to the left 180 degrees so the right side is on top,
4) go back to flat/parallel to the floor
5) tilt 90 degrees on the other axis so the top of phone is on top
6) tilt 180 degrees so bottom of phone is on top
7) return to flat, and bingo, the compass is perfect down to <1 degree when compared with a traditional compass. Try to do all those steps without pausing between, at a medium pace.

I was pretty amazed and relieved when I first did it because I actually use my phone as a gps for hiking off trail and it needs to be accurate. It may need to be done every few days as it does drift out of calibration for some reason.

Upvote 0
I also have a bad compass. Called HTC and they have no cure nor do they say it isnt working right but I also in an open field after the figure 8 cal have apps that are about 10-20 degrees off clockwise...ie if target is at 180 degrees the app says 195 or so

have not gone back to sprint yet but is my nesxt move.....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones