• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Evo Restart Problem

I have had my HTC EVO for 5-6 months. My phone has in the last couple of months been restarting on its own. As soon as I use the phone to play games, navigation, run random apps, etc, it just restarts. Surfing the net and forums it seems as if many people are having this problem. I didn't get the Sprint phone insurance because it's like throwing away $7 a month for nothing.

To resolve this I went to a Sprint store near my house twice. The first time they asked me to do a factory reset on the phone. So I did and I also reformatted my SD Card and updated the software. This did not help. The told me to go to another sprint store that can do service and repairs.

I went to a service and repair Sprint store and they told me that they can replace the phone but they will charge a $35 fee. The other option was to call HTC and have them replace my phone since it is under the mfg warranty. Paying anything to fix a problem that should not exist sounds absurd to me. I have already flushed down a lot of money to get the service and the phone.

I called HTC and they said that I would have to send in my phone. The process would take serveral days (up to 10-12 days). The would attempt to fix my phone. I was told I would have to pay for the shipping to send my phone to them...some customer service. On top of that if they determined that my phone was physically damaged, a "unauthorized" application was installed, etc my warranty would be deemed void and I would have to pay $35 to cover the cost of diagnostics on the phone.

This is absolute crap! Neither Sprint nor HTC has stepped up to resolve this issue. They want me to spend more money to fix an issue that should not exist in the first place. On top of that I have to be without a phone or find a replacement while they look for a resolution.

Anyone been through this? Any ideas, other than quit Sprint, which I'm binded to for another 1.5 yr through my agreement.

You got unlucky. What you describe is not a common problem with a stock Evo. It's very common to experience that problem under certain conditions after the phone is rooted. But assuming you didn't root, you may have a defective phone.

Seems like the $35 replacement is the best bet. I might contact Sprint's customer care line and ask for their retentions department and then politely bitch that you shouldn't have to pay the $35 replacement fee since the phone went defective.

I would also check the Evo 4G forum area to see if anyone else has encountered this issue.

Upvote 0
I think insurance for cell phones is not worth it. If you have a phone that you are paying 7-10 bucks a month, you have already lost 80-120 bucks in one year. At that point your phone is barely worth that price. If a phone is covered under a mfg warranty, the mfg should live up to it and take full responsibility.

Novox77, thanks for replying. I did not root my phone. I have called Sprint and they just told me to go to a store that can do service and repair.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones