• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC GPhones handed out @ Google....

I don't. Why? Because ITS A DEVELOPER DEVICE!
It amazes me people go on and on about things like "Passion is not coming it hasn't been through the FCC" but now its "The Nexus One is going to X carier" even though it hasn't been to the FCC yet. Hell Google hasn't even applied for anything to the FCC yet.

How does that work, anyway? I mean, I understand if you are permitted to test a few devices out, but if you distribute a large number of these things to employees, at what point is this not kosher? I mean, these things could be emitting the radiation of the inside of a microwave. I'm sure they're not, but without FCC approval, how would you know? I guess FCC approval applies to consumer products sold to the public.

Upvote 0
How does that work, anyway? I mean, I understand if you are permitted to test a few devices out, but if you distribute a large number of these things to employees, at what point is this not kosher? I mean, these things could be emitting the radiation of the inside of a microwave. I'm sure they're not, but without FCC approval, how would you know? I guess FCC approval applies to consumer products sold to the public.

It would be akin to you and your friends making a phone and using it within a limited space. Its my understanding that the FCC regulates interstate communications (as far as phones go). Hence if the Nexus is used on Google Campus there should be no need for FCC approval. Remember from the leaks it was not operating on a carrier's network. Just that someone put in an ATT SIM card, but that is not part of the equipment. The only question would be the Wifi which I'm not sure of. They are probably using the Wifi at Google to test it.
Then once submitting the testing result you have to show how you tested it, what you used and who did it.

Upvote 0
Could it be possible that the Nexus One has the Snapdragon QSD8650™ chip and is a dual GSM/CDMA phone? I don't know how much info was given to the Google employees as the phones were handed out. And anyone seeing a SIM card slot inside the phone would assume GSM only. This is a new technology, possible there is a switch in the Phone settings menus for CDMA/GSM (default GSM). Wishful thinking maybe?

I thought the exact same thing yesterday brother! It's definitely possible. If they can put the European GSM band radio in the Blackberry Storm as well as have the CDMA radio in it, then why couldn't they just make the GSM radio they put in this phone one that is compatible with U.S. bands and also CDMA? The answer: I think they could. The reason they haven't done this in the past with other phones is because Verizon doesn't want someone in the U.S. to get a Blackberry Storm, for example, and then go put an AT&T Wireless SIM card in it and then Verizon loses business. So...if Google is wanting to make a kind of universal phone that works on all of the networks in the U.S., all they would have to do would be to make a phone that has all of the radios in it, GSM for AT&T and GSM for T-Mobile and then CDMA. If that's possible, and I think it would be because the same thing has been done to plenty of other world phones, then all they would have to do is sell it themselves. And...isn't that what they're going to do? Yep.

So, I think you're onto something perhaps. Cause you can't just look at a phone with a SIM card slot and know that it's also compatible with CDMA bands. There's no physical evidence that would hint towards that. So, you'd automatically assume it's a GSM only phone. I'd probably assume the same thing, but that may not be the case. It could be a world phone, but in this case, I guess it would be a Nation Phone. Works on any network in the U.S. It's just a fun theory really, but it'd be kinda cool I guess. Who knows? We might even be right.

Upvote 0
As much as I hear everyone complain about AT&T why does anyone put anything on GSM?

GSM is the World standard, as well as being able to do data and voice simultaneously...So, IMHO, it is superior to CDMA. The problem is that AT&T has not invested enough $$$ in their pitiful network, so many AT&T subscribers (myself included), have had a dreadful experience with AT&T. I routinely experience dropped calls, failed calls, poor voice quality, and very slow 3g. AT&T would rather spend millions on TV commercials with Luke Wilson trying to convince viewers that AT&T is not as bad as many say, instead of putting that money into improving their network....Smoke and mirrors. For those of us on AT&T who experience daily substandard service, we know that Luke and AT&T are lying.

If the Passion/Dragon/Gphone is only available in GSM (AT&T, T-Mobile), I will port to Verizon and get an Eris. The new Google phone can be the best smartphone in the World, but it is useless to me if it can only be used on a crappy network like AT&T's.

Upvote 0
Even though this sounds like the best Android device to date, I bet within the next year, somethin else will come out that will be even better.
No, I don't see how this could be the case in the consumer electronics space. It almost never happens that a new phone comes out and isn't the best phone in the industry for at least 5-7 years. You might as well bet that the sun will come up tomorrow, which clearly isn't going to happen.

Upvote 0
Bell (or Telus for that matter don't have a GSM network... to use it on rogers you would need it to come out on AT&T in the Us, Bell and telus on the other hand would require UMTS 850/1900 and HSDPA 850/1900 (or Wcdma 850/1900)

if it's strickly GSM, then rogers would be your only bet. if it comes to TMO, then WIND mobile would be your only option in Canada.

Upvote 0
Dear Google and America,

Please don't forget about us to the North. And by north, I mean Canada not Minnisota. We are just as tech hungry as anyone else. Also, Telus and Bell have that new dangled HSPA network just kickin' around without many devices on it. It's lonely.
Just a friendly reminder.
All this is very exciting and cannot wait for the new year!

Cheers,
-MikeH.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones