• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Htc One m8 Stuck on white Boot screen after Marshmallow update

Snaggle68

Lurker
Sep 10, 2016
OK this is my old phone that i gave to my dad . Has been working fine but he asked me to apply the update as it keeps coming up and he didn't want to do it .

I run the update which then stuck at x % :(

I have factory reset the phone and wiped the cache . After doing that it seems to boot.. says installing apps(165) and then reboots and says starting apps and then just sits there .

Im guessing it stuck half way between the old rom and the new .

The HTC manager wont see the phone . Downloaded the RUU for it but it wont see the phone . Thought it might be easier to put a custom rom on it but because the pc wont see the phone i cant unlock it to install a custom rom .

The dam thing is driving me mad... Wasted 6-7 hours googling stuff to try and resolve it but everytime i think i have found a fix its not quite right !!

Please can anyone help ?

89fb57315db1350927c09bbb97102068.jpg

If you put it into fastboot mode (from that menu) the RUU should see it. If not you probably just need to install fastboot drivers.

On the plus side, it looks like it didn't do much of an update if the bootloader version is dated 2015. That's good, because if you had a newer bootloader the RUU would fail to run.

As for unlock and custom ROM, again you need it in fastboot mode, and to install fastboot on the computer in order to do the unlock. But I'd try the RUU first: the ROM is only part of the system software, whereas the RUU will give you a clean copy of everything. The fact that it started to load Android once may indicate that the problem is indeed in the ROM, but you can't actually know this for sure at this point.

As long as you can get into the bootloader (what you are looking at) and access fastboot mode then this is almost certainly fixable.

Upvote 0
ok success ... kind of :p

RUU now finds it... started to flash and then error ed with wrong device id .
Im using RUU_M8_UL_M60_SENSE70_MR_TMOUS_6.20.531.5 as it seems to be the only UK one but is it the wrong one ?

How do i tell which one to use ? The phone was originally orange / EE and was unlocked via code and we use a giffgaff sim

Regards

Snaggle

Upvote 0
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.19.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.29.214500021.12G
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 6.12.61.4
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: **************
(bootloader) imei: ******************
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m8_ul
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B10000
(bootloader) cidnum: ORANG001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 76df2b54
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!

Upvote 0
I am having a similar problem - cant find the right RUU. This is the one that I think should work (or looks most suitable) https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24369303960687057 . I cannot get it to open - so if you can would be grateful if you could send it my way.Have been googling for hours too to find analtervnative file source. Found it on a thread posted by Saltire http://androidforums.com/threads/surprise-boot-loop.1002270/. And here is my post: http://androidforums.com/threads/cannot-find-ruu-stock-rom-htc-one-m8.1068912/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones