• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC One VX Storage--"Other" is full--why?

jeanfi12

Lurker
May 9, 2015
I've got an issue with the storage on my HTC One VX. I've got three storage sections: App Storage (almost full, understandably), Phone Storage (4.15GB/4.15GB full, I have no idea why), and SD card (plenty of room left). I cannot understand why my phone storage is so full.
In the Phone Storage categories, Apps are taking up 12.19MB, Photos and videos take up 474KB, Downloads take up 64KB, and other (OTHER?!?!?) takes up 4.14GB.
This has been a problem for several months now, I am down to the bare minimum of apps and usually have to uninstall one if I want to install a new one.

I bought my mother the exact same phone just a few months after I got mine, mostly for the ease in talking her through technology problems, and hers is not having the same issues. Her Phone Storage is much much less full (165MB/4.15) and doesn't even HAVE the "other" category.

See attached picture for comparison of phone storage.

WHAT is the problem with mine? I've been through both phones attached to a PC and also using ES File Explorer and I can't find any difference between the two. Would a factory reset fix things? I'm willing to do that, but hoping there is an easier way.
Both phones are running Android 4.1.2 if that matters.

PLEASE ADVISE!!

Attachments

• phones.jpg
    phones.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 238
Here's some general information, good idea to read the whole thread, it's short ok -

http://androidforums.com/threads/qu...ruth-read-me-first-now-with-ram-truth.906249/

Your /data area where your apps, app updates, and all private app data is being shared from a common pool with the "internal storage" for pictures, music, etc etc (usually called /sdcard while your actual card is called /sdcard2 or similar).

Unless you're rooted (have taken steps to get administrator access) you can't see into /data - that's for your protection, your private info is there.

The two storage apps linked above may help in unraveling the mystery of that 4 GB in other.

Unfortunately because you're about full, you may have to remove something to install them.

You have ES File Explorer -

Go to the internal storage by whatever name and search for - thumb

Look at all thumbnail folders for the total size.

If you have a corrupted media file, the built-in media server (used by everything) could have lost its mind in an endless loop and created a whopper. If so, delete the folder.

Settings, Apps, All, Media storage, clear data will empty everything out. (Your gallery will be empty - don't panic, you've erased thumbnails.)

Cycle power.

Check storage.

Wait a half hour, the media server will rebuild the databases, check storage again.

Keep an eye on it to see if it grows out of control again.

It might be something else entirely - I'm playing the odds based on the most common storage problem.

Reactions: electricpete
Upvote 0
Tried the thumbnail search--there was nothing huge there. Did Media storage/clear data, cycled power. Nothing changed. Downloaded StorageTruth and ran it, screen shot attached. Deleted it (for room) and tried DiskUsage, screen shots attached also. Can't really understand either one, to tell the truth. If I got up enough courage to root it, would that be of any help?

Attachments

• IMG_4121.JPG
    IMG_4121.JPG
    398.4 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_4122.JPG
    IMG_4122.JPG
    617.5 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_4123.JPG
    IMG_4123.JPG
    428.4 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_4124.JPG
    IMG_4124.JPG
    529.8 KB · Views: 172
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones