• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC One X: TalkBack Turned Off but Still Talking

Hi everyone, sure hope there's an answer for this somewhere!:thinking:

A few days ago, the TalkBack feature on my HTC One X began working (even though the app was turned off and I had never touched it). I found a thread which suggested unticking all the boxes in the TalkBack settings then rebooting.

I did this and it worked. Except it's started again today. And there's nothing further I can do as the TalkBack settings are all unticked and TalkBack is off.

I've checked for any recent updates and my phone is up to date. I've rebooted. I've turned TalkBack on, ticked all the boxes, rebooted, then unticked all the boxes, turned TalkBack off and rebooted AGAIN. As an aside: The only thing which TalkBack was registering was when I opened my keyboard (saying "open keyboard") and any words typed out. The rage-inducing TalkBack "voice" didn't announce anything else I did on my phone, however.

I'm mere one-hundredths of a millimeter from throwing the damn thing at the wall. My provider is no help whatsoever unless I want to package up my phone and send it to them.

The one odd coincidence is, all of a sudden IMO stopped registering my Skype account as being online, even though I re-entered my password. And about two weeks ago, my son downloaded an app, "One Bit Pixi Tracker" and soon after that the keyboard on my phone disappeared. I managed to fix that issue, though.

Anyone have this problem? I've seen lots of threads on not being able to get out of TalkBack mode, but the app is actually turned off on my phone, it just won't shut up.

TL;DR: TalkBack WON'T STOP TALKING BACK!

I think it might be your last option :(

What do you need backed up? We can get you sorted with backups and minimize loss before the reset.

Are you sure it's talkback btw and not Google Now? What kind of stuff is it saying?

Hiya. It just stopped talking again today, out of the blue! I have no idea why/how.

I don't have the Google Now app as far as I know. I don't use the cards, anyway.

When the TalkBack was doing it's thing, it was only talking when the keyboard was opened for use either in a text or a browser. No other action caused the phone to talk.

Yes, please, it would be very helpful to know what I need to do to back up my phone because if it happens again, I'm just going to reset it and try to get rid of whatever bug is causing it.

Thank you very much for your reply! :)

Upvote 0
Contacts should be backed up to Gmail. To check, access your google account via a PC, then head to contacts. If they're not there, let me know and I'll tell you how to sort that.

SMS Backup+ will back SMS up to your gmail account.

Call Log Backup and Restore backs up exactly what it says it will :p.

You could also take a look at MyBackup Pro which will do your apps etc (although they're tied to your gmail account so they should re download themselves anyway). You'd lose any data associated with them though, so stuff like game progress etc would be gone.

If you also head to Settings -> Backup & Reset and tick "Backup My Data", some settings will get backed up to the Google servers and will re apply themselves after the reset.

Is there anything specifically you need backed up and I'll see if there's anything out there for it. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones