• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC rom update for Rogers

As someone who is expecting to recieve my unlocked Rogers Magic any day now I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is safe to run on it or if running the update might relock the phone? I ask because I am going to be using the phone on AT&T so I need it to be unlocked however it would be nice to have the fixes. Thanks in advance for any information.

Upvote 0
As someone who is expecting to recieve my unlocked Rogers Magic any day now I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is safe to run on it or if running the update might relock the phone? I ask because I am going to be using the phone on AT&T so I need it to be unlocked however it would be nice to have the fixes. Thanks in advance for any information.

I'm in the same boat as you. My unlocked Rogers Magic will be arriving soon, and I'd like to know if this update will screw up the unlock.

Upvote 0
Just as a heads up, I read over on the XDA's Saphire ROM developement forum that this update includes something called Perfected SPL which makes it masively harder to Root the phone. I'm not entirely sure if I will be rooting mine or not but I thought I should mention this just in case it helps anyone here.

Upvote 0
Coscom, thanks for that tidbit about Perfect SPL... I'm always a little leery about rumours like that, but for now it's enough to keep me away from this upgrade until more info surfaces. Apparently the SMS security hack that was one of the big reasons to get this patch isn't as dangerous as initial reports had said(apparently with android the worse it can do is bump you off the network for a few seconds), so now I'm not seeing a lot of reason to upgrade. I suspect if/when I do upgrade, it will be via rooting, and it looks like sticking Perfect SPL into the mix just makes that harder.

DT

Upvote 0
I did something wrong during the update.. and now when I plug my phone into a PC the phone won't get recognized.

When I run the ROM updater from the Roger's site now it gives me an error message that the phone isn't connected. Now what??

When I turn on the phone I get the white screen with the icon on the bottom that's like a computer chip with a red blockout.. if you know what I mean? Help... how can I get the phone to connect to my pc again?

Edit:
SAPPHIRE PVT 32A SHIP S-ON H
HBOOT-1.33.0009 (SAPP50000)
CPLD-12
RADIO-3.22.20.17
MAY 8 2009,21:02:32

RUU

Upvote 0
I did something wrong during the update.. and now when I plug my phone into a PC the phone won't get recognized.

When I run the ROM updater from the Roger's site now it gives me an error message that the phone isn't connected. Now what??

When I turn on the phone I get the white screen with the icon on the bottom that's like a computer chip with a red blockout.. if you know what I mean? Help... how can I get the phone to connect to my pc again?

Edit:
SAPPHIRE PVT 32A SHIP S-ON H
HBOOT-1.33.0009 (SAPP50000)
CPLD-12
RADIO-3.22.20.17
MAY 8 2009,21:02:32

RUU

you try uninstalling the HTC snyc software?.. i had to do this a couple time and then it recognized my phone.. but i never got as far as it screwing up my phone like it did for you.. i just noticed it was the htc sync software and not ruu software that wasnt recognizing my phone... you get it from same sight as ruu..

and yes it wipes all apps etc.. what i do is keep all my contacts on my gmail web page so when i do any new hero rom or any rom it automatically syncs my contacts.. and just re d/l apps

Upvote 0

I really appreciate with this forum.

Thank you.

view for free system

Its safe to run on at&t. I am on at&t with my Rogers magic. If i had to do it all over again i wouldnt update it though. Now rooting and trying to load a Hero ROM are pretty much over for my weak skills. Its way harder with the perfect spl that it puts on the phone. Oh well supposed to get the official in october and hopefully it will be a RUU update like this one. Although i am liking the magics basic android right now with a different theme

Upvote 0
I have an unlocked Magic on AT&T (and love it). It cost me a good amount so I'm not messing around with rooting it right now (I did 1-click rooting on a T-Mobile Mytouch that I had for about a week and a half) so I went ahead and did the Rogers ROM update and other than having to add my APN back in, everything is working great.

There are no major changes that I see, but it does seem to be running smoother. There were a couple of other differences, that I noticed last night, but I can't put my finger on them right now.

I love having the magic on AT&T 3G (T-mobile's 3G only covers some of St. Louis right now)... I would like to have it rooted, but I went for the official ROM for now.

Upvote 0
This does not bode at all well for UK Orange users eagerly anticipating an HTC Hero update.
:(

I went to rogers web site and I could download the update.. so it could be updated.. but funny that HTC's site will not let me download the update. but after downloading the update from rogers the update went well. took about 5min to upload to the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones