• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC sends me a new phone first, I send the flawed?

NewNexusOne

Feb 11, 2010
The Google support team got back to me in regards to my update issues, no factory reset or manual update has worked and I continually get thw E:\Can't open /cache/recovery/command
-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

message when any attempt at the update happens. Spent hours on the phone with google support yesterday, we ended the call with a "gee some people seem to have phones that will not take the update we will get back to you."

They got back to me.
Suggested another factory reset or send for a replacement. I looked at the warranty and it says

Device swap: The device swap is the quickest way to get a working phone again. A new device will be sent to you, together with a box for returning the defective device. You should remove the SIM card, the battery, and the microSD card from the defective phone, insert them into the new device, and return the defective phone in the box provided.

So they will send me the new phone first? Because I sure as hell cant go with out a phone, especially one I just paid $579 for.

EVERYTHING works great except I am not getting the update. I don't have 3G issues and the only reason I realised I wasn't getting the update is when I realised I didn't have pinch to zoom. However, I believe future updates will be crucial and I cant let this problem go unresolved. Can any one confirm that HTC does in fact send the replacement phone first before I have to send mine back away.

I just hope they don't send me one with crap 3G service as mine has been superb even with out the update.

This question was answered in your other thread you started about this. By me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNexusOne
The way I read it, I understood it as they would be sending me another phone first before I send the faulty one back.

Can any one confirm this?
That's one option, but I believe it involves them holding a charge on your card for the price of the phone until they receive yours back, to avoid any sneaky people trying to get two-for-the-price-of-one.

The other option is to send yours first and hope they send a replacement swiftly.

Upvote 0
cheers. Damn HTC. Any suggestions? Pinch to Zoom isnt a huge deal and 3G works great for me.. however Im sure there will be updates I really need in the future.

Any one got replacement phones that were worse than their original faulty one?

I suppose you could always send it in and insist they repair your phone, as opposed to send you a replacement. But again, that involves being separated from the lovely device for however long it takes, which you'll never be able to speculate on.

That's why I've not swapped my phone out for the dust issue. I want them to fix this one, not send me another with the same/a different problem. But I can't bear to be without it. Ever.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones