• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Sense/Jelly Bean, where's the GPS? or WiFi?

D

Deleted User

I'm too old for this stuff... :(

Let the phone update, now I can't find my GPS on/off switch?

It used to be under Quick Settings... on or off. Now Quick Settings doesn't have anything for the GPS?

Just has mobile network, wifi hotspot, bluetooth, airplane mode.

Oh HELL NO!?

Just realized it doesn't have the on/off for my WiFi either?

WTF?

If I press "Additional settings" it goes back to the homescreen (??) then some more settings. All I can find is "Location", which among other things offers "Let apps use GPS". Well yes, obviously.

But how do I switch it on (so quicker fixing when needed) or off (to save battery life)?

And the same with WiFi? I've found my internet is DEAD around town at time with WiFi on, because it tries to connect to "open" hotspots that still require passwords. I can only use my data plan if I turn WiFi off - but how do we do that now, with this Jelly Bean Y$##@?

??

(and what's the strip of icons along the bottom, replacing the phone button, called? So I can search and figure out how to change the icons..?)

So far I'm really wishing I hadn't upgraded, as I don't like this new version at all. Even the camera has gone stupid on me. Without "rooting" is it possible to go back as it was? I hate this, it's horrible.

:mad:

SS

Update - I found the WiFi. There's no icon, it's actually the grey strip at the top of the screen. Which is stupid. This is real basic GUI design 101, don't use rounded colorful icons for some things, nondescript gray strips for others things, FFS!

Hi MP, the phone is an HTC Incredible S.

I've read over on ARS Technica someone saying that Jelly Bean is "intelligent" enough to only switch the GPS on when an application is using it.

That has effectively destroyed my GPS then, as it's virtually useless now. It always takes a good 5 to 15 minutes or so to get a decent lock, so if I know I'm going to be using it I'd switch it on in advance. I'd then check the notification area, see the little GPS symbol and know there was at least a reasonable chance it would have found some satellites by the time I needed to use it.

If it's going to keep switching the GPS off when I'm not actively using an app that needs it, then I'm NEVER going to have a usable lock - or I'll have a lock just in time to watch the battery die as I'll have to keep the app continuously running.

This thing has a hardware GPS sensor that is now effectively dead, as I can't turn it on unless using an app that wants it, which means I'll never have the time or patience to wait for it. It just went from a smartphone that was stupidly slow to get a GPS lock to a dumbphone without GPS at all. Completely stupid and useless!

So I ask again, is there any way of putting this thing back to whatever operating system it had before? Or is there an app to regain control of the GPS?

Even my beloved GPS Essentials doesn't work now.

What dumbass designed this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones