• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Sense put to shame

I watched the video. Pretty interesting. I probably could have benefitted from that when I first bought the evo. I remember before buying the phone and reading some review praising Sense for really making the Evo feel polished.

When I got the phone, I kept looking for this "Sense" thing and had no idea what it was. Turns out, it's pretty much every piece of UI I was seeing.

I think my problem was that I'd never owned an Android phone before the Evo, so I had no idea what a vanilla android phone looks like. Now that I've played with CyanogenMod6, I have a pretty good idea, and I have a much better appreciation of Sense.

I can see why non HTC owners are asking if there's a way to put Sense on their phones.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=meBGJ_2f8RU

Upvote 0
what advanced settings are you using? I would like to atleast try this Launcher for a couple of days. I downloaded some icons, but its just lags to me.
I posted it in this thread:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-tips-tricks/124474-how-use-launcherpro-3.html#post1442049

So far it's been 2 days with only one redraw, when it was happening almost every time I used my phone before. I also turned off the auto-orientation feature since I never use the home screen in landscape anyway (which caused that one redraw I think, having to redraw from landscape to portrait). Hope this helps!

Reactions: cabbie
Upvote 0
LP was glitchy for me until I modified a couple of the advanced settings. Now it runs perfectly -- no more redraws, and scrolling is smoooth, completely happy with it. The customizable dock and swipe gestures are awesome, and the LP Pro widgets replicate the HTC ones nicely (I use bookmarks and the calendar).

What did you do? I was using LP too but later on it became very laggy. I rather use LP but anytime the phone is sleeping for more then 15 minutes when I turn it on, it take a few seconds to load up. It use to load up instantly.

Upvote 0
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-tips-tricks/124474-how-use-launcherpro-3.html#post1442049

So far it's been 2 days with only one redraw, when it was happening almost every time I used my phone before. I also turned off the auto-orientation feature since I never use the home screen in landscape anyway (which caused that one redraw I think, having to redraw from landscape to portrait). Hope this helps!

I don't want to limit it to 5 screen. There's no reason to go there, it was flawless when I first had it but why is it all the sudden laggy?

Upvote 0
Well the 5 screens may have nothing to do with it -- it was just something I tried, and then I realized 5 screens was all I needed :) The memory settings are key, and possibly turning off the auto-rotation of the homescreen. I was in the same boat as you, and those settings ended the redraws. Try them with your 7 screens.

Upvote 0
Well the 5 screens may have nothing to do with it -- it was just something I tried, and then I realized 5 screens was all I needed :) The memory settings are key, and possibly turning off the auto-rotation of the homescreen. I was in the same boat as you, and those settings ended the redraws. Try them with your 7 screens.

That's weird. I don't have an issue with mine and I'd hate to turn off auto-rotation as I use it everyday in my car dock.

Upvote 0

GOD BLESS YOU

i have been struggling with this exact issue for a couple of weeks. i just applied your settings recommendations, lordy i hope it works. I was also running into the same issue using HTC Sense. I didn't know whether it was a cache issue, a memory issue, having too many widgets, etc etc blah blah. I really hope this works, it would relieve my single biggest headache.

Upvote 0
When I can get a decent package of widgets that perform as flawlessly as my Sense widgets, I will consider changing. Up to this point, I have tried both the ADW Launcher and Launcher Pro and they clearly have more "bugs" than Sense does. The "best" weather widget for Launcher Pro (from Beautiful Widgets) is off by 20 degrees, for crying out loud. I have tried the alternatives and I am not what you would consider a "noob" when it comes to technology, but I still like Sense for the fact that it all works so smoothly, compared to the other 2.

launcher pro plus has widgets now and they are much better that sense and can be resized any way...also a much smoother launcher and can really take advantage of a lot of real estate on your screen...htc sense is oooold news

Upvote 0
Eye candy for sure, but way too gaudy for me. Also, the touchscreen responsiveness in that video is horrendous. The finger moves, and the animation is struggling to keep up with the finger. It's what I call the "slipping on ice" effect. The stock Evo is plagued by this as well. Custom kernel fixes the problem.

Keep in mind that it a pre-release so I'm sure it is a bit buggy. That, and I'm not sure what that phone it was running on, so who is to say that it won't run awesome on the EVO. I thought it looked amazing, and would switch from Launcher Pro to Tat in a heart beat.

Anyone catch the comic pull out that he did in the video? What app is that??

Upvote 0
Just started using LP pro, and I like, seem pretty quick to me. I just want the clock weather widget back, but looks like I can buy beautiful widgets to get it again, which sort of bugs me as it is free in sense. Also looking at trying widget locker to get my agenda on my lock screen and maybe the weather.

Upvote 0
I'm using Launcher Pro and folder organizer so that I'm able to do away with a lot of the home screens that I didn't need. The only force close that I came across was the friend stream...but I'm assuming that's because it's a sense app?? (Newbie here!)
Anywho, I like LP a lot better and haven't had any other troubles.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on an integration app for facebook and twitter since friend stream won't work on LP?
Yes, get rid of LP. People get rid of sense just to get another launcher and try to build what you already had. Thats crazy. Sorry I don't have any suggestions. Sense works just fine. But everyone is entitled to have there own opinion.

Upvote 0
Just started using LP pro, and I like, seem pretty quick to me. I just want the clock weather widget back, but looks like I can buy beautiful widgets to get it again, which sort of bugs me as it is free in sense. Also looking at trying widget locker to get my agenda on my lock screen and maybe the weather.

I personally think this is better than the HTC Weather widget
Weather widgets (yr.no) - Android app on AppBrain

Upvote 0
I watched the video. Pretty interesting. I probably could have benefitted from that when I first bought the evo. I remember before buying the phone and reading some review praising Sense for really making the Evo feel polished.

When I got the phone, I kept looking for this "Sense" thing and had no idea what it was. Turns out, it's pretty much every piece of UI I was seeing.

I think my problem was that I'd never owned an Android phone before the Evo, so I had no idea what a vanilla android phone looks like. Now that I've played with CyanogenMod6, I have a pretty good idea, and I have a much better appreciation of Sense.

I can see why non HTC owners are asking if there's a way to put Sense on their phones.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=meBGJ_2f8RU
I agree with you! I would like to run some stock 2.2 with all the options and widgets, but for the most part. Sense is better than any other skin out there. Moto Blur sucks so bad, it looks blocky. I was excited about Xperia, I will pass. Touch Wiz is a joke. This is a great post. People strip Sense away to download third party apps to imitate Sense. I think it's funny. But again that's the beauty of Android. We have options.

Upvote 0

Tried it, it made it even more laggy. Sigh... I wonder if the update screwed it up for me. Back to Sense...

Upvote 0
google IS making a laptop OS.... keep your eyes out for it. I went to a software conference at google for my company and the dude there was using some slick software on his laptop. I asked is that the google OS? He said, yup. I said, can I see? He said NOPE! ... and closed his laptop lol

It's not a secret. It's been available as a beta install for awhile now. Its current state is "meh". It's useless unless you have a data connection as everything involves the cloud.

Upvote 0
Yes, get rid of LP. People get rid of sense just to get another launcher and try to build what you already had. Thats crazy. Sorry I don't have any suggestions. Sense works just fine. But everyone is entitled to have there own opinion.

I didn't build what I already had with Sense. I like LP and don't have any problems so I don't plan on getting ride of it but thanks for your input. I'm just looking for a nice app/widget that will integrate both facebook and twitter like friend stream did and asked for a few suggestions.

Upvote 0
I didn't build what I already had with Sense. I like LP and don't have any problems so I don't plan on getting ride of it but thanks for your input. I'm just looking for a nice app/widget that will integrate both facebook and twitter like friend stream did and asked for a few suggestions.

Thats the next widget on his to do list for launcher Pro.

Upvote 0
no real issues here with launcher pro free... combined I have been using lp, widget locker, folder organizer and multicon, all with no problems for 3+ weeks now.

when it rarely lags I've always found something else running stealing resources...
i've had the rare issue where my background image won't stick but I rarely change that up and only had the issue when switching back and forth from the android launcher or sense back to launcher pro.

There are multiple functions of folder organizer that I notice go completely unrecognized...like the "activities" function when adding a folder organizer label or item. I was able to set up icons that take me directly to voicemail, 4g settings, network settings, various HTC widgets etc... I rarely change these things so no "toggle" widget is needed for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones