• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTCDev.com Unlock - Perm Root - Amon Ra or CWM Recovery

Not a stupid question.

HTC bootloaders have revision numbers - they come in specific versions in other words.

It's entirely possible (and highly likely) that the reason this works is that the version of bootloader on the Rezound today is matching that with other HTC phones that the HTCdev.com method will unlock.

If Verizon kicks and asks HTC to change your bootloader version so the HTCdev unlock stops working, the two of them can get together and make that happen via an over the air (OTA) update - and you'll be stuck.

Hence my advice - avoid OTA updates effective now, if you want to unlock your bootloader with this method.

I don't know much about all this, but I'll have to disagree on the part why this works. When I've tried to unlock the Rezound in the past, the error code I've received had something to do with carrier ID was not allowed or something similar. It is possible that HTCDev only checks the bootloader version or HTCDev has messed up big time. But if the site DOES check the carrierID based on your IMEI it is also possible that they just gave in and unlocked the bootloader for the Rezound.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
when i use anything with superuser i get this in my notification area

"SU binary outdated, tap to update"
I tap it and it says i have 2.3.2-efgh

then i hit update, but error at this "checking md5sum...fail"

Any help? everything does seem to be working okay though, except i get that outdated error int he notifiction any time i use anything with root?

Upvote 0
when i use anything with superuser i get this in my notification area

"SU binary outdated, tap to update"
I tap it and it says i have 2.3.2-efgh

then i hit update, but error at this "checking md5sum...fail"

Any help? everything does seem to be working okay though, except i get that outdated error int he notifiction any time i use anything with root?

did you update your superuser through the market?

Upvote 0
i must have updated, it's not telling me i have any updates in the marketplace so I'm assuming I did. Any way to fix this?

Yes i did as it says i can uninstall an update when i go to settings > applications > manage applications

Can i uninstall the update? or any way to fix this?

At one point, superuser had the infamous "update bug" - and it sounds like you have it. I seem to recall that there was a zip update file floating around that let you re-install superuser and getting rid of the endless loop of update required notices.

I'll post back if I can find it, unless someone else does first.

Upvote 0
i must have updated, it's not telling me i have any updates in the marketplace so I'm assuming I did. Any way to fix this?

Yes i did as it says i can uninstall an update when i go to settings > applications > manage applications

Can i uninstall the update? or any way to fix this?

Unroot/Factory reset ->root again. then don't update superuser. super user is pretty buggy sometimes, and this is fool proof method.

Upvote 0
For people that are going to go through removing/deleting any app that you feel is "bloat" manually and not use a script that has been made to do that. A word of wisdom from me would be that you use TiBu to freeze it instead of trashing the app. The veterans will already know this.

If you do decide to uninstall the app in question make sure you have a backup of that apk on your pc for safe keeps.

Upvote 0
That's a lot of work considering i just got the phone to where i want it.

what if i uninstall the update?

You can try, I can't see any reason that removing the update will cause any harm, but I read a few different places that the bug stays after removing the update. I've never had this bug, so I can't comment on it from a hands on point of view.

Upvote 0
For people that are going to go through removing/deleting any app that you feel is "bloat" manually and not use a script that has been made to do that. A word of wisdom from me would be that you use TiBu to freeze it instead of trashing the app. The veterans will already know this.

If you do decide to uninstall the app in question make sure you have a backup of that apk on your pc for safe keeps.

I just deleted the obvious ones until there's a verified list available. Blockbuster, Kindle, Books, My Verizon, Verizon Navigator, Watch, and maybe a few others. If I wasn't sure, I left it alone.

Upvote 0
I just deleted the obvious ones until there's a verified list available. Blockbuster, Kindle, Books, My Verizon, Verizon Navigator, Watch, and maybe a few others. If I wasn't sure, I left it alone.

its still good to get a backup before you delete anything. I always throw my titanium backup on my PC before commencing debloating. Better safe than sorry.

Upvote 0

yes like Randpost suggested it is HIGHLY advisable that if you "delete" bloat that you keep a safe copy of the apk on your pc or somewhere. Down the road you may need it.

You can also rename bloat and just put like a _ at the beginning or end.

Upvote 0
I don't know much about all this, but I'll have to disagree on the part why this works. When I've tried to unlock the Rezound in the past, the error code I've received had something to do with carrier ID was not allowed or something similar. It is possible that HTCDev only checks the bootloader version or HTCDev has messed up big time. But if the site DOES check the carrierID based on your IMEI it is also possible that they just gave in and unlocked the bootloader for the Rezound.

HTC Makes All Handsets Released Since September 2011 Unlockable

Those of us in the petition earlier this year were assured by HTC that all new phones after the date they gave in would be unlockable (June of this year as I recall).

Now they say all new phones since September 2011.

Either way, the Rezound is in. But if you want to trust this to work, go for it and don't take OTA updates.

In my opinion.

Upvote 0
in your opinion what is the likely hood of bricking a device at this point if someone new to rooting is doing this and trying to do bloat removal and UV'ing?

I just always like to throw a PSA out during times like this when Root/Unlock are first being found to prevent some people from bricking their device if there is a high chance of it. A lot of that hinges on us not having an official CWM yet.

I think it's more dependent on how well you follow directions. I've only seen one "brick" and that's pretty much unexplained. 99 good, 1 bad and I don't think he did anything wrong. As far as the undervolting. If you can make it through the root process, undervolting is as simple as installing an app and adjusting a slider/checkbox.

Upvote 0
I don't understand what you can do now that you couldn't of done when I had it perm rooted other than actually delete the bloat?

As jkc120 stated above, it's likely to stick now. I think before the best you had was an often-persistent temp root - this is true permanent root.

With an unlocked bootloader, you get a custom recovery, with that you get full image backups (nandroid backups), and you also get to flash all of the goodies that the dev community has to offer.

I expect that to be quite a bit in the coming days and weeks - the door just opened.

And with perm root, you can install and manage all sorts of cool stuff.

Personally - I recommend DroidWall.

Reactions: randpost
Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums, The Gaate! :)

If Superuser installed correctly, it will show up in your app drawer along with your other apps.

Once you have Superuser installed correctly, you can download Busybox from the Market. It creates a set of links so that the full set of Linux commands required by root are there and understandable by root apps (and processes).

Barnacle we can't discuss thanks to our new forum policy on not discussing tethered apps unless you're using it in conjunction with paying Verizon for tethering (instead of trying to bypass their tethering service). Not trying to be a jerk, it's just policy, please PM me if you have more questions. ;)

If problems persist in installing root apps or processes - get EStrongs File Explorer, free in the Market, and go to Menu->Setting to set your system to read/write, then re-try Busybox.

If Superuser is working correctly, it'll give a pop-up when an app wants root permission so you can Allow or Deny.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones