Humid day triggers water mark....

Last Updated:

1. Matthew

Matthew Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I went golfing the other day and it had been raining and was very humid outside and of course my battery cover came off when I pulled the phone out of my pocket. I grabbed it and put it back on and never thought about it again, the next day however when I was playing with my phone and took the cover off I noticed the water mark had been tripped. No water got on the phone so the humidity must of tripped. Just thought I'd let you guys know because apparently these water marks are super sensitive.

Advertisement
  2. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

put it in a bowl of rice or put some silicon packets from electronics boxes - I always keep those - around the phone to suck out any moisture.

3. Matthew

Well it doesn't have any water damage. It just triggered the water mark.

4. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

wait.. you said "the water mark had been tripped" is this some function (screenshot please) or are you saying you got an actual water mark due to humidity & it vanished?

5. fastether

fastether Member

Most mobile phones have several moisture-sensitive strips that react to moisture, so that customer service can see if you got the phone wet, and therefore see that your warranty is voided.

6. RyanB

RyanB Guest

They're usually placed under the battery cover as well, so someone would only have to remove the cover (like the OP) to view the moisture indicator, or expose it to the air for that matter. It should look like a little white dot with red colored plus shaped signs. When wet, the white indicator turns pink or red.

7. Hemorrdrhoid

Hemorrdrhoid Well-Known Member

There are even water markers on the battery. Gotta love that.

8. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I haven't had a cell phone in the last 10 years or so that didn't get watermarked just from being in my pocket. Both my DROID and my work RAZR are watermarked ... just checked. Oh well...

9. smacky

smacky Banned

I'm sure someone has found a way to reverse this. Or...replacement indicators. :)

10. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

They are on most smartphones that I've used.

OP was referring to the moisture indicators as "watermarks" (which are something else entirely). Looking at the context of the message helps. ;)

11. Highland Ranger

Highland Ranger Well-Known Member

Do they turn solid pink/red when they have been "wet"

Every one I have ever had showed the red plus signs - does that mean no warranty?

12. _Jroid

_Jroid Member

^^ the plus signs mean it still good = warrenty. it turns pinkish when wet = void warrenty.

13. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Well-Known Member

i dont condone this or anything but it works.

my buddy dropped his iPhone in a porta-potty, it was just cleaned so he reached in and grabbed it (pretty nasty...still give him crap about it). obviously it was waterlogged and the waterspots were tripped....he ripped apart the phone, and used bleach to make them all white (obviously this only works with all white indicators), he took it into an apple store, the checked the watermarks, he got a new phone. you could always bleach it, then red ink pen it ;)

and i have heard of these things getting tripped by being in the bathroom when you take a shower. i am sure it will only be in time that mine gets tripped from these Florida summers. i am still good tho :)

14. Matthew

I actually thought I might be able to replace the water marks...I'm not sure how but I'm sure it could be done. I also didn't even care that it was tripped because I figured I would never need to replace the phone. This thought of course jinxed me because last night I dropped the phone in the parking lot which put a nice huge crack in the screen... Yeah..