• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I am considering getting a Vibrant...

droid51378

Android Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2009
Mississippi
I currently have an HTC EVO, which I am happy with, but for some reason I am drawn to these Samsung phones. I am concerned with a few things, like not having an LED flash, but I am curious about how you folks feel about the phone and if anyone has converted from an EVO. My 30 days is about over and I am exploring all options before I am tied into a 2 year contract. I know the battery life is not very good, but I figure it is the same with most phones these days.

I use my phone at the gym for cardio and watch a lot of movies. The super amoled screen is my main draw to this phone. Also, the phone is thiner & weighs less, the internal 16gb of memory is sick & the sleek, not bulky design just looks great.

So what do you folks think? Mistake or good move?

So far I hate the vibrant, I am at the point of returning the two vibrant s we have and going to Verizon for the droid.

It really seems to have been a mistake to talking my family member into coming over to t-mobil......wish it was my service I had canceled and went over to verizon.

Not sure if I mentioned this but so far the vibrant sucks, here is some of the things I am hating, their are another 101 that I can live with but these ones are deal breakers.

1) Google contacts are not syncing properly. ( groups created in google are not showing on the phone, and yet can not be created because they already exist.)

2) No led indicator light, with as often as I am separated from my phone or in the car driving for hours this is a serious flaw and one I only thought affected people dumb enough to give apple money.

3) The keys on the bottom of the phone, home, settings etc turn off to quickly with no way to adjust their time.

4) Sync problems with things like face book. On one of the vibrants it is syncing face book with out problems (after 7 trys) on the second we have failed to get it to work even tho we set it up the same way.

Upvote 0
So far I hate the vibrant, I am at the point of returning the two vibrant s we have and going to Verizon for the droid.

It really seems to have been a mistake to talking my family member into coming over to t-mobil......wish it was my service I had canceled and went over to verizon.

Not sure if I mentioned this but so far the vibrant sucks, here is some of the things I am hating, their are another 101 that I can live with but these ones are deal breakers.

1) Google contacts are not syncing properly. ( groups created in google are not showing on the phone, and yet can not be created because they already exist.)

2) No led indicator light, with as often as I am separated from my phone or in the car driving for hours this is a serious flaw and one I only thought affected people dumb enough to give apple money.

3) The keys on the bottom of the phone, home, settings etc turn off to quickly with no way to adjust their time.

4) Sync problems with things like face book. On one of the vibrants it is syncing face book with out problems (after 7 trys) on the second we have failed to get it to work even tho we set it up the same way.

Google contacts sync fine for me. Indicator light? Really? That's why your phone rings and vibrates. The keys on the bottom could stay lit longer, I'll give you that. Facebook has always updated and synced fine for me.

But, to each his own. Sorry it isn't working out for ya. :(

Upvote 0
This phone is a great multi-media phone which would be great for you since you would use it for music and movies. It's fast and as far as battery life goes, it's pretty good, yesterday it was unplugged for 8 hours with heavy usage (GPS directions, taking photos, streaming music, playing games, web browsing, texting, AIM, phone calls) and I still had around 20% left when I got home. I wouldn't take my word completely on this since reception has an impact on battery life (I was outside and at the beach so reception for me was great)

As far as syncing contacts, I keep all my stuff on my SIM card and I just transferred it over to my phone so I can't really comment on it syncing with google.

The led indicator light is not a huge problem at all. How hard is it to press the unlock button on the side of your phone and check if you received a message/phone call? It only takes a second.

The bottom buttons do turn off pretty quickly but it really is no problem for me at all, just touch the area and they light up again, problem solved.

I do not use the samsung facebook widget because I use LauncherPro, and I just have a bookmark to the mobile facebook page on my home screen and it works perfectly fine.

There are a few bugs that are present but they can be fixed with updates. I've never played with the EVO so I can't really compare them for you.

Overall I love my phone, there are a few bugs and setbacks but it's no problem for me at all since i'm pretty laid back about it. It is a great multimedia phone but if the downsides of the phone are too much for you then stick to the EVO, or just go into a t-mobile store and compare. The camera is pretty awesome too.

Upvote 0
That is what I am looking for is your opinions. I like my EVO a lot, but I want to make sure I am going to be happy with it for at least a year, before I can get a nice upgrade price :)

I really like the looks of the new Samsung phones, minus the AT&T version(too blocky) & the screen is undeniably super sharp and crispy. I know I would miss my LED flashlight lol and not too sure about the loss of 3 mp on the camera, but I know I would not miss the HTC sense UI, nor would I miss the weight of the EVO, I am a big guy and this thing weighs my gym shorts down. I think I am going to go to a Tmobile store and at least check it out.

I was also less than impressed with their coverage. In my area I get excellent phone signal, but the lowest data, but if I am at home I would use wi-fi anyway I guess.

More opinions please!!!

Upvote 0
TMobile's coverage does need to be expanded, but keep in mind that they are working on it. They're the newest of the 4 major carriers, so remember that it will continue to grow.

That being said, they still have the fastest network. Their 3G speeds where HSPA+ has been implemented is faster than Sprint's 4G speeds. On top of that, TMobile's HSPA+ network is already larger than Sprint's 4G.

TMobile also has the best price options of the 4 major carriers, including uncapped data plans being the standard.

Anyways, if you notice, the vast majority of complaints against the Vibrant are personal preference/opinions. "It doesn't have [insert unnecessary thing here] that I really miss from my old phone...." It really boils down to your own personal preference. You know what it does and doesn't have. If you think you can live without some of the features of other phones (LED flash, front facing camera, keyboard), then I think you'll really enjoy it.

Upvote 0
Anyways, if you notice, the vast majority of complaints against the Vibrant are personal preference/opinions. "It doesn't have [insert unnecessary thing here] that I really miss from my old phone...." It really boils down to your own personal preference. You know what it does and doesn't have. If you think you can live without some of the features of other phones (LED flash, front facing camera, keyboard), then I think you'll really enjoy it.

+1

Upvote 0
I went with the vibrant for a couple of reasons. even though both devices are about the same size, the evo does feel a lot bulkier. the screen on the evo is really nice, but it doesn't compare to the one of the vibrant. The vibrant is smoother when scrolling and doing things like pinch to zoom, which was something that annoyed me when I had the evo. I think you can't go wrong with either phone. I would also put the droid x up there as well. I believe these are currently the top three android phones. each has unique features and it all comes down to personal preference.

Upvote 0
Google contacts sync fine for me. Indicator light? Really? That's why your phone rings and vibrates. The keys on the bottom could stay lit longer, I'll give you that. Facebook has always updated and synced fine for me.

But, to each his own. Sorry it isn't working out for ya. :(

Your contacts may sync although I am doubting your groups do. Go into your gmail account make a group named Test and add some one to it. Does it port over to the vibrant? I am going to say no.

Also the LED light is a major problem, although for most people who are in an unsecured facility it may not be an issue. Their are often times where my phone is required to be locked in a lexan container where it takes two people to unlock the container so yes it is not really a simple matter to turn on the phone and check.

That and when in the vehicle it is nice to be able to just look down and see a light.

Looking forward to see how your gmail group came across..

Upvote 0
I use my phone at the gym for cardio and watch a lot of movies. The super amoled screen is my main draw to this phone. Also, the phone is thiner & weighs less, the internal 16gb of memory is sick & the sleek, not bulky design just looks great.

So what do you folks think? Mistake or good move?

How long do you have with Sprint before you have to commit? I ask because if you can, get the Vibrant now with the cheapest plan possible and tell them you want to pay in installments. Play with the phone within the 14 days (or is it different?) they give you, unless you're in CA which I believe is always 30 days, and see if you like it and willing to keep it. If you don't like it, then you only pay a small fee. The service, you get the money back from the phone. Think of it like you're renting the phone for a little bit. :D

IMO, the Vibrant is better than the Evo, but that doesn't mean much since it's just my opinion.

Upvote 0
So I go into the Tmobile store, it was crowded, but the Vibrant was available. So I go over to the display and pick it up and right off the bat I notice how light the phone is ... wow. The screen looks amazing. Then here comes my complaint ... the phone is on demo mode ... I can not even access the actual phone and try it out. I can not get an actual feel for the phones smoothness, camera or Samsung UI. I will not buy a phone I can not actually access.

I am going to call in a bit and see if there is another phone I can actually try out the phone and not watch a video on it.

Upvote 0
So I go into the Tmobile store, it was crowded, but the Vibrant was available. So I go over to the display and pick it up and right off the bat I notice how light the phone is ... wow. The screen looks amazing. Then here comes my complaint ... the phone is on demo mode ... I can not even access the actual phone and try it out. I can not get an actual feel for the phones smoothness, camera or Samsung UI. I will not buy a phone I can not actually access.

I am going to call in a bit and see if there is another phone I can actually try out the phone and not watch a video on it.

From my experience, you should be able to just tell them that you're interested in purchasing that phone, but you won't buy until you can test it out. They shouldn't turn you away.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones