• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I am getting so hacked off with my DHD!!

kingdave

Android Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2010
Manchester
This is nothing more than a rant because I need to vent my spleen about how p*ssed off I am getting with my Desire HD.

Had it for 18 months now, and it has always had small niggles, but then each time HTC release a software update (and by that I mean a bug fix, an Android update or for something in the HTC Hub) it makes the phone get even worse.

Right now, the major problems I am facing include:

• EVERY time I launch an app it causes Sense to crash. Doesn't matter what the app is, it crashes Sense.
  • The phone will reset itself a couple of times a week, just randomly. And then when it has decided it wants to turn itself off it'll think its fun to go into a constant reboot cycle. Pulling the battery is the only way to fix it, but even that means 3-4 reboots before it is sorted.
  • Hangs on the white HTC screen often
  • Laggy as hell. Playing games of scrolling down a page on the net and it'll not do anything, then spurt into life and do everything you've been asking it to do for the last 30 seconds in 2 seconds.
  • Despite turning off notifications in HTC Hub it still tells me every morning at 8am that there is an update available for the battery widget, which it then refuses to download. Today, it finally did download said update, and it crashed the phone. Been trying to get it up and running for the last hour.

Its got to the point where the phone is unusable, but I have 6 months left on my contract. I was tempted to root and install something like Cyanogen as I'm certain its the Sense bloatware that is causing the majority of problems, but then I won't be able to use my bank's apps like PingIt and the soon to be launched mobile banking app.

If I can't use my phone for more than a few minutes at a time without something crashing, and I can't root I don't know what to do.

I fear that because HTC have already said that they know Sense is bloated and they've cut it right back for Sense 4, it'll just get even worse if I upgrade to ICS and Sense 3.6. They know Sense is bloaty, but still won't give us a cut back version for ICS.

Any ideas on what is causing these problems, and more importantly, how to fix them!?

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

[/rant]

Sounds bad...

I assume you've tried factory resetting it ?

I was tempted to root and install something like Cyanogen but then I won't be able to use my bank's apps like PingIt and the soon to be launched mobile banking app.

I guess by this , PingIt doesnt work with rooted phones? I have it installed on mine, but then again , I haven't actually ran it ...
But it seems to be that being a non-root user has no advantages as even though you can technically use the app, the restarts etc would stop you ?

In other words, after resetting , I would try rooting. You would have to ask someone like DURX , but if the problems were only in newer versions of sense , you may be able to root , and then unroot with an RUU to an earlier version of Android.

You could try using these :

http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-all-things-root/431483-guide-dhd-all-things-root-roundup-sticky.html

All the Best !

Upvote 0
The phone managed to stay up and running long enough (about 3 minutes!) to do a sms/contacts back up while it was in one of its annoying reboot cycles this afternoon.

After backing up, I've done a factory reset, and while it has taken all day to get my apps back, move to SD card etc the phone seems more stable and faster now.

I'll give it another week or so though before it all goes wrong again. In fact, I bet the Sense crashes will start again later today or first thing tomorrow!!

But in answer to your PingIt question, it can be installed on a rooted phone, it just checks if its rooted when you open it and if you are won't let you go any further. The mobile banking app looks to be built on the same infrastructure as PingIt with basically the same app running in the background, so won't be able to use that also when it come out in the next few weeks if I do go down the root route.

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear that you've been having issues kingdave... I would follow Mehta's advice and try a reset. If you do want to go down the root route, then you wouldn't necessarily have to go for CyanogenMod... you could still stick with (a slicker than stock) version of Sense. If anything, I'd suggest IceColdSandwich - similar sort of thing to CyanogenMod, by someone else (as in it's Vanilla Android) but Ice Cream Sandwich, rather than Gingerbread. Don't get me wrong... as soon as CM9 is released (their next version), that is what I will be putting on my DHD.

Can't really help you out much on the issues you've been having, as I've not used the stock stuff since 1 month after I got the phone! Rooted without looking back!! :)

I believe that the only way for you to go back to a previous version of stock Sense would be to root and then use an older RUU (exe file you can run on your PC) to flash you back to stock (don't have a great deal of experience with RUU's, but I believe that would be the only way to go back to a previous version).

Let us know how you want to proceed and I'm sure we'll be able to offer more advice :)

Reactions: kingdave
Upvote 0
The phone managed to stay up and running long enough (about 3 minutes!) to do a sms/contacts back up while it was in one of its annoying reboot cycles this afternoon.

After backing up, I've done a factory reset, and while it has taken all day to get my apps back, move to SD card etc the phone seems more stable and faster now.

I'll give it another week or so though before it all goes wrong again. In fact, I bet the Sense crashes will start again later today or first thing tomorrow!!

But in answer to your PingIt question, it can be installed on a rooted phone, it just checks if its rooted when you open it and if you are won't let you go any further. The mobile banking app looks to be built on the same infrastructure as PingIt with basically the same app running in the background, so won't be able to use that also when it come out in the next few weeks if I do go down the root route.

lol - ninja'd by you!

I spent a while writing a response and then my computer crashed.

Good to hear that things seem a little better - hope this is the end of your issues. If you do want any help at all, shout up :)

Upvote 0
Well problems are back, but they are different problems!

I've only had one Sense crash so far since I factory reset, and fingers crossed that will stay that way but now Netflix is refusing to work.

I've tried a forum search and a Google search and none of the results appear to describe what is happening (apart from one which has no replies). My Netflix app is from the market, all legit etc and worked fine before I reset my phone.

Problem is, you open the app and get the red logo screen with the rotating white circle........for hours.........and hours........and it never ever asks me to log it. Just sits on that red screen for ever.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, rebooting my phone, doing a battery pull but none of it works. Any ideas?!?

Upvote 0
Might seem a strange one but try the phone without the SD card in and see if that makes any difference. It's a long shot but your SD card maybe the problem as it doesn't get wiped or changed with a factory reset and anything corrupted on there maybe causing your phone to crash.

Thanks, but after lots of trial and error I've managed to solve it.

I was trying to loaf the app while being connected via the unblock us DNS. Disconnecting from that then launching the app allowed me to log in. Then I could reconnect to the DNS to access the netflix USA library.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones