• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I bet you can't fix my Wi-Fi problem.

...Sorry that sounded rude, but I did that to you get your attention, lol.
The truth is, I can't even fix the problem.

I have a Motorola Droid OG (Droid 1) that my ex gave me. For some unknown reason, the Wi-Fi Always drops around every 3 - 15 minutes, then takes about 15 seconds to about 3 minutes to automatically turn back on.

This is seriously getting on my nerves, and since I currently do not have an actual phone plan (I'm Only using Wi-Fi), I tend to miss a lot of texts.

Things I've done in an attempt to fix the problem, but failed to do so:

Made sure Wi-Fi stays on during "sleep".

I uploaded a new rom onto it - Steel Droid.

Tried using one of those "Wi-Fi" fixing apps, the Wi-Fi still drops and the apps never tell me exactly why.

I tried going online (computer) through my IP address to switch the router to G mode.

Then B/G mode.

Then B mode.

I moved (not because of This particular issue) and got the highest speed internet and best Wi-Fi router possible from Bright House, and switched it to G mode, Wi-Fi still drops. It's actually a bit worse now to be completely honest.

Just went into testing mode (*#*#4636#*#*), don't exactly know what I'm doing though.

Just switched the channel from "Auto" to "1" (away from other Wi-Fi routers according to the app "Wifi Analyzer") and switched back to B mode.

...what exactly am I supposed to do? Could this possibly be a hardware (internal) problem?

I've taken the battery out of my phone several times, as the power button doesn't work on it..Also, it can't be the wifi connection being screwed up. I've used two completely different routers and still have the same problem. But thanks for the suggestions...I guess I gotta keep looking..Like, what can possibly be causing this problem?

i think he meant that there could be a hardware problem with the wifi card or antennae. i might try to notice if i was holding the phone in a certain way or squeezing it or touching it in a particular spot whenever the problem occurs.

Upvote 0
As a basic measure, i'm going to suggest that you reset the device back to factory but backup any settings that you have(contacts etc.) Your device is deauthenticating and then reauthenticating to the networks. If it were doing it only on one network i would say it were on the network end but since you are experiencing this problem on open networks as well it seems more like a device issue.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Could be kernel related. Since I do not know what your ex did with the phone it leaves a door wide open to different possibilities.

In most cases when installing roms or custom kernels it could mess with your WiFi and that is usually the result of the kernel and the kernel modules being based on different build versions.

Some kernel devs have been known to modify the kernel to not rely on the modules parsay thus preventing problems with such kernel modules and thereby keeping WiFi in tact. However, the majority of them do not and will thereby share their custom kernel along with the kernel modules, but if any reason they do not communicate with one another properly you could have issues.

I'm not saying this may be your case, but it's a very common issue with those experiencing wifi problems.

Usually, the best fix for regards to what I am saying would be to restore your device with the original kernel and kernel module's and if that still doesnt fix the problem at hand then it would be safe to presume there is a hardware issue.

Upvote 0
Updaaaaaaaaaaate...

I think I Finally fixed it.

Thanks to the app "Wi-Fi Fixer", it gave me a hint. Within the app, my wifi would always drop on a status that says "Fix algorithm 1".

So I googled that, and came across a website that says that the algorithm has something to do with the whole WPA - AES security thing within wifi.

So on a computer, I typed in my IP address, changed my security / protection thing to...

okay, umm..while typing this, my wifi decided to go out again..

So it's still messed up, even after changing the WPA AES to WPA with TKIP / AES.

According to Wi-Fi Fixer, my wifi drops after "Supplicant state: DORMANT".

Upvote 0
here is my guess....

you are in a high traffic wifi area. ie.. neighbor's wifi and radio signals.
they are all on top of each other.. interfering with your communications.

download app: wifi analyzer.
it will test the local channels.. show you how crowded your channel is.
find an open free, unused channel.
move your router to that channel.
reboot every device that uses the router.

hope that fixes everything.
if not.. you got a bad wifi part in your phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones