• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I hate 5G

5G (cellular) doesn't even exist in my area unless LTE+ is the same thing.
It isn't. Though I wouldn't put it past some of your carriers branding it as 5G, same as some of them tried to pass off HSDPA+ (a 3G technology) as 4G.
5GHz (WiFi) works but only in the same room as the router itself. Soon as you leave that room, the speed you get is abysmal.
Mine works fine from a couple of rooms away. And it will switch seamlessly down to 2.4GHz when it gets too weak, so in my experience there's no real down side. Maybe not all routers are equal (though I don't claim mine is anything special).

Upvote 0
The way my home is constructed makes 5GHz horrific. It works excellent in the office where the router is at, but outside that the signal drops to 1-2 bars and you get dial-up speeds at best. That's if it remains connected at all.

I have a hard time believing Owensboro,KY has no 5G Cellular yet. But the most I've seen on a '5G' capable handset is 'LTE+' I never see LTE+ on a LTE only or older model. I just assumed it was 5G based on that alone. I have no clue what LTE+ is.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones