• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I Found & Fixed an HTC Incredible Battery Bug

I'm also seeing 10 hours of battery life on my new incredible. My times were 15 minutes apart. I'll be doing some testing based on this thread.

It looks like my battery issue was due to an AIM app that never shut down. Apollo Task Killer fixed it. It does look like charging keeps it awake so I will reboot after a full charge to check the time today.

Also had an OTA update go to my incredible and install. According to the Software Update: DROID INCREDIBLE by HTC site, it is for business email.

Upvote 0
Ok so I feel like a big idiot, but while the phones on the charger it wont sleep (i think)... so although it may have been a problem (pre-factory reset), I thought the problem stayed on because I left it plugged in lol :(

Does this happen to you guys too? if its plugged in will it not go to sleep?
Mine was plugged in all night and awake 20 minutes since I 86'd the Facebook connection via the HTC client and hence it's not in Friendstream.

Upvote 0
It looks like there is definitley an issue with a process not closing correctly. For me, it seems to be Calendar, Peep, and perhaps Mint/Financisto.

But killing those processes let's my phone go to sleep.

Currently, at Uptime 39 hours 30 minutes, Awake time 13 hours 14 minutes. Looks like the phone was awake while I slept last night and the night before.

Still have GPS on, Data Syncing On and all that.

Have 2 bars of battery level left.

Upvote 0
I am a little confused here. How can you tell if your phone is asleep? I have my screen set to shut off after 1 min, but other then that I don't know how to tell. I check my uptime and awake time, and they are always the same. How long is the phone supposed to take to goto sleep?

I have TaskPanel and I kill all background apps, I have everything in the power widget turned off, and still my uptime and awake time are the same. I have Always on data checked and background data checked, but killing all my apps should stop it right? I have noticed if I uncheck always on data my battery increases A LOT, but then what's the point of having GTalk or anything else. What else can I do/try to get this battery to last more then 3 or 4 hours?

I also realized that after cycling my battery 5 or 6 times, that it takes a LONG time to charge. Maybe an hour the first time I charged it to now up to 4 and a half hours for a full charge. Could something still be running in the background eating up my battery? Any ideas?

Upvote 0
I am a little confused here. How can you tell if your phone is asleep? I have my screen set to shut off after 1 min, but other then that I don't know how to tell. I check my uptime and awake time, and they are always the same. How long is the phone supposed to take to goto sleep?

I have TaskPanel and I kill all background apps, I have everything in the power widget turned off, and still my uptime and awake time are the same. I have Always on data checked and background data checked, but killing all my apps should stop it right? I have noticed if I uncheck always on data my battery increases A LOT, but then what's the point of having GTalk or anything else. What else can I do/try to get this battery to last more then 3 or 4 hours?

I also realized that after cycling my battery 5 or 6 times, that it takes a LONG time to charge. Maybe an hour the first time I charged it to now up to 4 and a half hours for a full charge. Could something still be running in the background eating up my battery? Any ideas?

If you have identical awake and up times, your phone is not sleeping. Try doing a Force Stop on the Calendar application by going to Menu - Settings - Applications - Manage Applications. Scroll down all the way to find "Calendar" and then scroll down to select Force Stop. No need for a task killer.

Upvote 0
If you have identical awake and up times, your phone is not sleeping. Try doing a Force Stop on the Calendar application by going to Menu - Settings - Applications - Manage Applications. Scroll down all the way to find "Calendar" and then scroll down to select Force Stop. No need for a task killer.

Force Stop is greyed out, it won't let me select it...what should I do?

Upvote 0
Force Stop is greyed out, it won't let me select it...what should I do?

I would try and kill the process itself from running.

Try downloading Astro File Manager, and using the Process Manager under Tools to kill the Calendar Process. That is what I do. I don't bother with Running Applications.

One thing I would recommend as well as completely shutting the phone down and recharging. On restart, kill the Calendar Process.

I keep an eye on my awake time now, and will kill the last process I run if it is incrementing while the phone is on standby. Usually does the trick. I was able to go from Tuesday 7 pm till today at about 2 pm before charging.

Thanks go out to johnperkins21 as well. His posts have helped.

Upvote 0
I would try and kill the process itself from running.

Try downloading Astro File Manager, and using the Process Manager under Tools to kill the Calendar Process. That is what I do. I don't bother with Running Applications.

One thing I would recommend as well as completely shutting the phone down and recharging. On restart, kill the Calendar Process.

I keep an eye on my awake time now, and will kill the last process I run if it is incrementing while the phone is on standby. Usually does the trick. I was able to go from Tuesday 7 pm till today at about 2 pm before charging.

Thanks go out to johnperkins21 as well. His posts have helped.

Well, I downloaded Astro and restarted the phone. I looked for the Calendar process with Astro and it's not there. My phone is sleeping now though, which is weird because I didn't do anything but fully charge my phone download Astro and restart it. I will keep watching what happens and post back.

**just realized** I have now realized that under battery a Cell Standby counter is there. I've never seen this before. Now that is counting along with everything else I do. Before this, the android system counter was over 70%. This should drop tremendously now that it is sleeping. I will definitely keep an eye on this and post back.

Upvote 0
I'm having this same issue--tried a battery pull, stopping the calendar app and service, and killing all running apps and nothing works. Still at 100% awake time. I'm about ready to just wipe the phone and start from scratch, but I'm not sure that would fix anything and I hate to have to reload all my apps and data.

I hope there's a solution or fix soon!

Upvote 0
Thanks all for throwing this thread together. It's been a good read. I realize there is a lot to learn with Android. Kind of a fun process all together.

So my battery life has been fairly crappy so far. I left my house today around 7:30am and on my commute home around 5 my phone was dead. Ridiculous. Less than 12 hours. Yes, I used my phone, probably more than I would if it weren't a new toy, but I was not playing games, using GPS, playing with the camera, etc. I did a bunch of texting, made a couple calls, listened to Pandora and did a bunch of web browsing throughout the day.

So I stumbled upon this thread and have been intrigued. I started checking the up time and awake time while the phone was plugged in and the two numbers were identical. I'm not sure if this has to do with it being plugged in or not, but I did kill the calendar app, then unplugged and it looks like the phone went to sleep, cuz the numbers separated.

Looks like tomorrow I'll be keeping a close eye on things. I've been following some of the other threads regarding whether or not to use a Task Killer. I ended up removing it from my phone. If anyone is interested, there are a couple threads going on about this stuff. Just search if want to read.

Would love to get that Day 6 battery boost to 20+ hours. Definitely do not want to be constantly worrying about my batter percentages all the time. I'm sure a few of you can relate.

OK, end rant.

Upvote 0
Thanks to John - forced the Calendar to stop on an HTC Incredible whose up and awake times were identical, which seemed to fix the issue, but also only temporarily.

The first time I did it, it only lasted 40 minutes. While I'm also hoping for a fix, I simply periodically check to make sure the phone is able to sleep, and if not, force stop the Calendar again. Most of the time it only takes one stop, but I've had to do it twice between charges a couple of times.

Upvote 0
Any breakthrough stories of dramatically increased battery life?

I get a lot more battery life when my phone is able to sleep. However, the usage greatly determines my battery life. Dramatically increased is subjective, but when I first got the phone I was very unhappy with the battery. Once I started troubleshooting, and figured out why it was so bad, I'm now pleased with my battery life.

Upvote 0
right now I have 13:30:00 uptime and 1 hour awake time, and my battery is still at 75%. what ever happened in the past 24 hour had dramatically increased the life of my battery. now I feel like I can leave the apartment and not worry about bringing my charger with me. which i was doing. I feel like I have a normal phone now. thanks to everyone in this thread for the help. greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
My phone has been unplugged since 2AM (screaming baby got me up) and it's now 8:40AM. My phone is at 80% battery. I have had about 15 minutes of Facebook usage, and 30 minutes of streaming Google Listen and Pandora and received about 10 emails. Awake time is 5:17:00 and Uptime is 17:39:00. After switching Exchange ActiveSync to only syncing every 5 minutes, it has been like night and day. Yesterday morning with similar usage and only an hour of unplug time, I was already into the 70% range. It was the calendar app causing it to never sleep.

Weak sauce, HTC/Verizon, but I'm glad I found a solution to my dilemma. I'm going to write HTC and Verizon and see if I can get a bug report into them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones