• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I need a list of the very best apps (general help needed)

oleb84

Android Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2011
London
Hi everyone,

I will be the proud owner of the Samsung Galaxy S4 pretty much on the day of release after an 18 month stint with an iPhone 4S. I used to have the Xperia Play until it packed up on me and believe me, I have missed having an Android phone SO much but I feel I may be slightly out of touch after so long.

So, I'm looking for a list of apps that I absolutely have to download on day one. I use phones predominantly for music, movies and tv program's, games and a bit of business like being able to access and amend all types of Microsoft documents.
I also use my phone for as much as I possibly can to get myself through day to day life including calendar, email, touch, alarm clock, converter etc.

I also enjoy tweaking the appearance of my phone and remember loving widgets.

I do not want to roots phone.

Huge appreciation for any help!

Hi everyone,

I will be the proud owner of the Samsung Galaxy S4 pretty much on the day of release after an 18 month stint with an iPhone 4S. I used to have the Xperia Play until it packed up on me and believe me, I have missed having an Android phone SO much but I feel I may be slightly out of touch after so long.

So, I'm looking for a list of apps that I absolutely have to download on day one. I use phones predominantly for music, movies and tv program's, games and a bit of business like being able to access and amend all types of Microsoft documents.
I also use my phone for as much as I possibly can to get myself through day to day life including calendar, email, touch, alarm clock, converter etc.

I also enjoy tweaking the appearance of my phone and remember loving widgets.

I do not want to roots phone.

Huge appreciation for any help!
This list is pretty comprehensive :
The 100 Best Android Apps of 2013 | PCMag.com

Reactions: oleb84
Upvote 0
Well, I started with this (pardon me, if it's from "competition" :) )
Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
among other "research"... but I was completely new to Android about two weeks ago. What I learned in this short period is that there is no one "best" app for its respective purpose (at least not "best" for everyone), but you just have to try it out, then keep it or move on. OK, that's pretty much the same on iOS as well.
(On the list I mentioned above... only a few were useful to me -- but it was a good read for a newbie. :) )
For the activities you mention, I for now stick to stock apps for music & video, as well as calendar, email, clock & timer; for office documents I'll likely be on QuickOfficePro (of course Dropbox and/or Box come in handy as well); also TuneIn radio was a must for me, and ConvertPad looks like a viable tool for various conversions.

Reactions: oleb84
Upvote 0
Here's a list of my 'must-have' apps:

Lightflow - great app for controlling your LED notification light. You can make the light flash different colors and speeds/durations/flash rates for different app notifications. It can also be used to give different notfication tones, vibration patterns. Very useful. There is a free version, but well worth the paid one.

Nova Launcher - I love Nova. The only downside is you cannot use the stock Circles widget (does not apply to the S4) with it which I really liked. But once I got used to the benefits of Nova Launcher I could not go back. I love the cube transitions and the use of gestures to launch favorite programs.

HD Widgets - great additional tool. There are other similar ones like Beautiful Widgets and others. It comes down to personal preferences.

Tapatalk - a must if you are the type of guy that likes to surf internet forums.

Swiss Army Knife - is a great utility program that has a bunch of simple and useful apps.

Player Pro or Poweramp - great music players, I like them much better than the stock player. There are a couple other popular ones. I rarely play the music on my player anyway because I subscribe to Rhapsody so I use that.

AirDroid - great utility that allows you to transfer files to and from you computer over wifi so you don't have to use your cord.

Kii Keyboard - great gesture keyboard. Swype comes stock and works pretty well but Kii is excellent and my favorite. SwiftKey Flow is another one that's pretty good.

Weatherbug Elite - my favorite weather program. Also use Raindar and MyRadar as stand-alone radar apps. Tons of great weather apps out there. Something for everyone.

Tasker - great program for programming your phone to it's fullest.

Cerberus - my preferred phone tracker app.

IMDb - great for movies and TV info.

Boat - my preferred browser.

Flipboard - my preferred news reader.

Jorte - my preferred calendar app.

Utter - great voice command app.

Others that I have found very useful:

CamScanner
Fooducate
Dock Clock
Waze
Zedge
Amazon Price Check
Wave Control
Fast Roboot
S.S.E.
Easy Cache

There are a ton more.

There are many, many more that ultimately you will have to decide what is good for you.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. A lot of apps that i paid for initially like Poweramp and Beautiful widgets will stil be downloadable wont they for free? I bought a Galaxy Note 10.1 earlier on in the year but dont use it much to find that i could just "install" them on the device rather than pay for them again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones