• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I need some help...

I've been running BB 0.6.2 for the last week and everything was fine, I just wanted to try a few others to see which one I liked the best.

So through ROM Manager I downloaded Cyanogenmod 6.1.2 made my back-up and wiped cache and data. It loaded fine and I got the blue droid guy on the skateboard and it looks like it took.

My problems are:

-There is no market and I can't find it anywhere
-I can't log into my gmail account it says: setup could not finish, unable to open connection to server.

What am I doing wrong?

I've been running BB 0.6.2 for the last week and everything was fine, I just wanted to try a few others to see which one I liked the best.

So through ROM Manager I downloaded Cyanogenmod 6.1.2 made my back-up and wiped cache and data. It loaded fine and I got the blue droid guy on the skateboard and it looks like it took.

My problems are:

-There is no market and I can't find it anywhere
-I can't log into my gmail account it says: setup could not finish, unable to open connection to server.

What am I doing wrong?

My guess is that you need to DL GApps separately and didn't. When you DL from ROM Manager and the ROM you're DLing has extras, it'll ask if you want to DL GApps, maybe a kernel, whatev. I say to try the process again and see if you're prompted to DL GApps.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response.

I did that. I was prompted to add Google apps from 11-14-2010 and I checked it.

So until I find out what's wrong I just restored my BB and have it back up and running.

Could I have gotten a bad download?

You're welcome.

Yeah, very possible. It def happens from time to time. I don't know if it matters when the Gapps came from, or if it needs to be updated, but have you tried CMs forums?

Upvote 0
I have found that trying new roms by downloading them directly within rom manager has become more and more flaky, so I now download the rom (and gapps) from the actual thread where the rom originates, in your case as Yankee said, go to cyanogenmod.com, click on forums, then scroll down to the Motorola Droid section, then to stable and then to the downloads section. Make sure you do download both the rom and gapps. Then tranfer them to your sdcard.

Open rom manager, choose the 'backup current rom' option (this way you can give a good description of your rom, I usually prepend my description and keep the timestamp). Once it's done, you can catch the reboot by sliding out your keyboard and holding down the 'x' key after the backup is done (this method is preferred, I don't because I'm usually posting stuff). I usually just let the phone reboot (as you can see a waste of battery and time), then I'll boot into recovery and use CWRecovery's menu system to do a factory data reset, then "install rom from sdcard" to install the CM rom, again to install gapps, then I will reboot the phone and go from there.

good luck

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones