• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I need some ROM advice for this phone.

imabitfighty

Sep 16, 2012
Highland Park
Got the tmobile SGS4G for the prepaid plan.

plans alright, not as good as virgin mobile and costs more but whatever.

I used to have the standard Galaxy S Vibrant and it was FINE. never had a problem with the stock 2.2 rom.

THIS phone however is complete garbage..

it freezes every 2-3 hours, has to constantly reboot. gets warm, lots of preloaded apps always run and drain the battery.

I know how to maximize battery life on an android phone but THIS phone conspires to destroy my sanity.

I am VERY sure its software issues. not hardware. got a replacement and its doing the same thing.

factory resets and the like do nothing, the stock rom is broken.

I want to put either CM7 or MIUI or ICS on it if possible.

I dont know the ROM environment for this phone, can you guys who have been modding this phone for awhile tell me what is the best 2.3 and 4.0 rom?

I AM comfortable with installing roms and modding the phone, I have all the things installed. I had to s-off my EVO and that required learning the SDK and al that baloney, so I'm not totally fresh to that, I can do it if someone points me in the right direction.

I heard some galaxy S phones cant use the 911e function in custom roms, thats fine by me its not my main phone.

all i want to know is

1. what recovery is needed, where are all the files, and where is a decent how to? info seems to be too scattered for this phone.

2. what is the best 2.3 rom, or failing that, what is the bset ICS 4.0 rom? I'd prefer stock android. cm7 is really great. miui is pretty too.

3. has anyone else had these problems with the stock rom as well? I had it twice on two of the same model phones so Im thinking its not just me and my awful luck.

Got the tmobile SGS4G for the prepaid plan.

plans alright, not as good as virgin mobile and costs more but whatever.

I used to have the standard Galaxy S Vibrant and it was FINE. never had a problem with the stock 2.2 rom.

THIS phone however is complete garbage..

it freezes every 2-3 hours, has to constantly reboot. gets warm, lots of preloaded apps always run and drain the battery.

I know how to maximize battery life on an android phone but THIS phone conspires to destroy my sanity.

I am VERY sure its software issues. not hardware. got a replacement and its doing the same thing.

factory resets and the like do nothing, the stock rom is broken.

I want to put either CM7 or MIUI or ICS on it if possible.

I dont know the ROM environment for this phone, can you guys who have been modding this phone for awhile tell me what is the best 2.3 and 4.0 rom?

I AM comfortable with installing roms and modding the phone, I have all the things installed. I had to s-off my EVO and that required learning the SDK and al that baloney, so I'm not totally fresh to that, I can do it if someone points me in the right direction.

I heard some galaxy S phones cant use the 911e function in custom roms, thats fine by me its not my main phone.

all i want to know is

1. what recovery is needed, where are all the files, and where is a decent how to? info seems to be too scattered for this phone.

2. what is the best 2.3 rom, or failing that, what is the bset ICS 4.0 rom? I'd prefer stock android. cm7 is really great. miui is pretty too.

3. has anyone else had these problems with the stock rom as well? I had it twice on two of the same model phones so Im thinking its not just me and my awful luck.

Try starting here you will find all you need hope this helphttp://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_4G:thumbup:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones