• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I need to recover my phone

Actually hold all 3 buttons power vol up and vol down and see if it does the same thing. It looks like this is a universal issue with your phone where some people can't get it to boot in recovery. I have asked this be moved to the all things root for your phone to see if anyone there with more knowledge of the phone can give you better advise than me.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I screwed up my phone too. I flashed the CyanogenMod ROM and decided I didn't like it so I went to restore my backup. It gave me an error in doing the restore. Now it just sits on the "Vibrant Samsung" screen.
I pulled the battery then tried holding down the power & volume up/down keys. The same screen appears, goes blank for a few seconds, re-appears, etc. for as long as I hold down the buttons. When I let up on the buttons it just sits at the "Vibrant Samsung" screen.
Can I do the above restore in this situation?

<edit> I tried plugging in but the green charging screen does not show up - just the little "dashed circle" which normally appears before the green battery image. I'm at work right now so I can't do the rest 'till I get home.

Reactions: ADTdeveloper
Upvote 0
WARNING!!! THIS WILL WIPE ANY DATA ON YOUR DEVICE, IT WILL REPLACE YOUR BASEBAND, KERNEL, RECOVERY AND OS. DOWNLOADS:

INSTRUCTIONS:
1.Your Device must be in DOWNLOAD mode to use ODIN.
2.Get your phone into DOWNLOAD mode by turning off your phone and plugging it in. Wait for the green charging screen. Hold Volume Up, Volume down, and Power. Let go of power as soon as the screen goes black. A yellow digging Android should be on the screen. This may take a few tries to get it right. (Alternate Method if you have ADB access : use the command &#8216;adb reboot download&#8217;).
3. Launch ODIN, then disconnect/reconnect your phone via USB. It should then say a COM port right under top-right box. (Issues detecting your device on a COM port? Try connecting your phone before starting ODIN, and don&#8217;t do the disconnect\reconnect. It&#8217;s a finicky application.)
4.In ODIN, load each file with its corresponding field..PIT,PDA,CSC etc. (In this case we just use the PDA and PIT).
5.Don&#8217;t check anything else, the other two boxes should be checked by default (Auto Reboot and Reset Time)
6.Hit &#8220;start.&#8221; Be patient!
NOTE: COM3 worked fine for me. COM should not matter as long as you are using the correct drivers.

Reactions: jgreetham
Upvote 0
Sorry if I seem dense - When you say press both volume buttons, I guess you mean the power button + the 2 volume buttons? And by instantly connect the usb cable, do you mean after I see the "Vibrant" screen? Or after the Vibrant screen goes blank? Because that's all that happens when I press power + volume up & down - the Vibrant screen appears ~5 sec. then goes away ~5 sec. then comes back ~5 sec. the goes away...

But open the ODIN program on the PC first, right?

Thanks very much for your patience.

Reactions: ADTdeveloper
Upvote 0
OK - I downloaded all you mentioned in your steps. You mention a PIT, PDA, CSC, etc. I have the PIT but I didn't get any PDA or CSC files. I expanded the T-Mobile Vibrant Image but all those files are *.rfs. I also expanded the pit archive into s1_odin_20100512.pit and, of course the odin3.rar into Odin3_v1.0.exe which I ran to see what the GUI looked like. So, now I think I'm just looking for the PDA file.

Thanks very much!

<later> I got it! I also had to check some Youtube videos about getting into download mode and then I found another guide at xda: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=849028

So, thank you to ADTdeveloper and the XDA team!

Upvote 0
I'm a newbie to the Android world of ROM's etc. and was following those online who claimed to know how to install ROM's for my phone (T959V) that I'd like to move to but lacked internal memory on the Gingerbread format to load all the apps my current phone (HTC G2) can hold with its 4G of internal space.

Anyway, after loading a CWM (1/2 a day lost on that) I tried installing ICS_Passion_v13.1_RC1.1_build2 which did not complete and put the phone into a boot-loop. Until I figured out how to Odin the stock+Voodoo-T959VKG4.tar to let me be able to boot to recovery mode and try a different ROM. The next one, cm-10-20120905-NIGHTLY-galaxysmtd.zip, did the same and my attempt to restore it using Odin with T959UVJFD-PDA.tar has given me another boot-loop.

I'm trying to be detailed because I fear I've trashed my new phone. I really would appreciate some direct instructions as I've already lost 2 days on this process.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones