• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I personally dislike iPhone but...

Jul 22, 2010
I dislike iPhone, would never trade my android operated phone for anything apple related, but DAMN. I really like the way this phone looks after doing a color conversion, it just looks SEXY. We need to have this available somewhere for Droid's. I know I know what your thinking "It doesnt matter how it looks on the outside, its whats on the inside" and I couldnt agree more on that, but I think we should start thinking a bit like iphone owners "this phone is so pretty I will buy it." So someone with a company out there! Droid Color Conversions, now. Please and thank you.

Red, White, & Blue iPhone 4 Review! - YouTube

A personal judgement call, I honestly don't like the design, it's not the worst but nothing about it jumps out at me. I prefer at least some rubber on the back of phones and I like the volume rocker over the individual buttons. The ultra glossy over-simplistic approach looks to cheap to me. But 1000s of people love it so at the end of the day it's whatever you like I guess.

I still say the only thing apple products have going for them are battery life, can't put that past them.

Upvote 0
I know I know what your thinking "It doesnt matter how it looks on the outside, its whats on the inside" and I couldnt agree more on that

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that. That's why we've got the Motorola slabs for the techie, the Samsungs for the sleek, and the HTC for the smexy. To be fair though I haven't the slightest care what color it is - I have a white Seidio case that wraps it entirely except for the screen, so my phone could be pink, and you wouldn't know.

but I think we should start thinking a bit like iphone owners

We have Bob around to do that for us. :)

Upvote 0
To the OP,
By all means, start up your own company. I am sure it will do very well! ;)
/sarcasm

In all honesty, the iPhone sells like hotcakes. There is one new model every year. It is easy (relatively speaking) to make bank on a color conversion kit because a lot more people have the iPhone 4 than an single model of android. I am sure we all know that different android phones come in different shapes, sizes, etc. I doubt it would be cost effective to produce color conversion kits for any of our android phones. That is, unless Google locks down Android, allows only one new phone to be launched every 12 months or so, and continues to sell their devices as well as they have been.

Upvote 0
To the OP,
By all means, start up your own company. I am sure it will do very well! ;)
/sarcasm

In all honesty, the iPhone sells like hotcakes. There is one new model every year. It is easy (relatively speaking) to make bank on a color conversion kit because a lot more people have the iPhone 4 than an single model of android. I am sure we all know that different android phones come in different shapes, sizes, etc. I doubt it would be cost effective to produce color conversion kits for any of our android phones. That is, unless Google locks down Android, allows only one new phone to be launched every 12 months or so, and continues to sell their devices as well as they have been.

We once made some color Palm Pilots as a happy lark. I was amazed at just how many people wanted one. We anodized the covers used on the PalmV. A fellow lapidary friend made some MOP buttons and those were of interest to quite a few.

I think $200.00 dollars is a bit much to gussy up an iPhone. Stop hating Gates and Jobs and turn the anger towards anyone that spends $200.00 just for a smidgen of color.

Upvote 0
I dislike iPhone, would never trade my android operated phone for anything apple related, but DAMN. I really like the way this phone looks after doing a color conversion, it just looks SEXY. We need to have this available somewhere for Droid's. I know I know what your thinking "It doesnt matter how it looks on the outside, its whats on the inside" and I couldnt agree more on that, but I think we should start thinking a bit like iphone owners "this phone is so pretty I will buy it." So someone with a company out there! Droid Color Conversions, now. Please and thank you.

Red, White, & Blue iPhone 4 Review! - YouTube

Do you know what the colored components are made from? If metal, perhaps a nice anodized process line could be set up.

We/you/someone/Apple/those guys over there in the Theme section of AF could offer patterns, specialty anodized printing (yup, it is possible) and then undercut the guys above.

Then sell the company to Google or Berkshire-Hathaway for thousands.

Upvote 0
If I want to change the color of my android I'll find a nice case for it - for less than $20 (maybe even $30 if it makes me drool a little) but I can't imagine spending an extra $200 for a color change. It's a good idea - and I'm sure the apple fanboys & girls will jump right on that bandwagon - but the trade off of being able to customize my phone to pretty much whatever I want is the better option for me.

Upvote 0
Of course you would say that as the pump mind altering gas through the vents and play subliminal messages all over that Apple is your friend. Apple is all you need.

WHy I dont go in to the stores :p

I personally think that the products sell themselves. They have working models of their products at the store and allow people to try them out first hand. That is what I like about Apple. They're not afraid of people trying before buying. I tried out the iPad there when I was shopping around for a tablet.

Upvote 0
Ive held almost all android phones in my hand and none of them have as a premium or high quality feel that even comes close to the iPhone. Apple slays all in terms of build quality and hardware..

My company's return of several bad iPhone 4 models would argue that anything mass-produced is about the same as anything else mass produced.

As far as feel - yeah, I support your right to your opinion, but that's not a universally held opinion.

Upvote 0
My company's return of several bad iPhone 4 models would argue that anything mass-produced is about the same as anything else mass produced.

As far as feel - yeah, I support your right to your opinion, but that's not a universally held opinion.

I think it depends upon the company and their QC department(s). Then again, define mass production. Generally speaking, you might be correct, though.

We certainly sold lots of crap over the years. I recall a bunch of modems that came through the RMA department because they would not connect. We discovered that they were all missing a key component: The internal PC Board. Other units would amaze you. They looked like blind monkeys built them. They still worked, however.

Then again, I never saw a bad Leica, Hasselblad, or Linhoff camera.

Upvote 0
I think if Apple wanted to strike it HUGE and really get iPhone's to everyone they need to make different models, or make iOS opensource so manufactures like HTC or Acer would also make phones that use iOS. This being said, I LOVE Android way more then I will ever like iOS or the iPhone, but different models would have bigger screens, or smaller, hardware keyboard, ext.

Hundreds of android enabled phones, a bunch of WP7 enabled phones, but only one that can run iOS? (2G, 3G, 3GS, 4).

Just my opinion.

Upvote 0
I think if Apple wanted to strike it HUGE and really get iPhone's to everyone they need to make different models, or make iOS opensource so manufactures like HTC or Acer would also make phones that use iOS. This being said, I LOVE Android way more then I will ever like iOS or the iPhone, but different models would have bigger screens, or smaller, hardware keyboard, ext.

Hundreds of android enabled phones, a bunch of WP7 enabled phones, but only one that can run iOS? (2G, 3G, 3GS, 4).

Just my opinion.

If you know Apple's history, they have never licensed their OS to others. At least that is my understanding; remember, you can

Upvote 0
Ive held almost all android phones in my hand and none of them have as a premium or high quality feel that even comes close to the iPhone. Apple slays all in terms of build quality and hardware.

Software is debatable. Some like iOS and some like android.
That weird, I've seen dozens of Iphones with cracked screens and other damage, meanwhile my OG droid has been dropped more times that I care to remember and it has held up great. I rarely see any major damage and maybe 4-5 crackd screens on the moto droids. I'd say the build quality is just as good if not better.
yea yea i know OG droid.....but im upgrading to the bionic soon as it hits the market. :)

Upvote 0
Ive held almost all android phones in my hand and none of them have as a premium or high quality feel that even comes close to the iPhone. Apple slays all in terms of build quality and hardware.

Software is debatable. Some like iOS and some like android.

That is the difference between the feeling of plastic and that of cold steel/glass. Feel the dashboard of a Chevy and that of a Mercedes and you will get the same impression. One feels more refined over the other. Apple sells to your sense of touch, just as much as your sense of sight.

Upvote 0
That weird, I've seen dozens of Iphones with cracked screens and other damage, meanwhile my OG droid has been dropped more times that I care to remember and it has held up great. I rarely see any major damage and maybe 4-5 crackd screens on the moto droids. I'd say the build quality is just as good if not better.
yea yea i know OG droid.....but im upgrading to the bionic soon as it hits the market. :)

I've seen plenty of screens cracked on iphones and Android based phones, but water damage seems to be a leader of damage on all types of cell phones!

Lots of pools and toilets out there. :D

Upvote 0
The age old debate continues....

Very recently, my sister was in the market for a new phone. She is intelligent, but gets frustrated with technology sometimes (just doesn't have the patience.) I tried to convince her that an android would be a great choice. She uses VZW for a carrier, so she has some excellent options in the android lineup. I let her play with my phone a few times but she could never seem to wrap her head around it. To her it was obtuse. She didn't want to have to mess around with settings and widgets and all the stuff androidians love to mess with. All her music (30+ gb) was on her itunes. I know there are plenty of apps to sync itunes with android, but that involves tinkering which she did not want to waste her time doing. She bought an iphone. She absolutely loves it. I'm happy for her, and actually I'm glad she didn't get an android because I would have felt her wrath when something went awry and it wouldn't do what she wanted it to.

Point is, there are choices. And that is what makes the world go round. We don't all have to be the same, or be stuck in a certain category (ewwww you have an iphone?) just because we choose a different device. Use what works for you, and enjoy it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones