• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I thought NFC reads credit cards?

event3horizon

Lurker
Apr 10, 2015
I just received an updated credit card from my credit card company with a built in chip. I have the original HTC one with NFC turned on. I tried a few apps out there to test scan it but I have no NFC beep at all on the card.

I also tried NFC with a foreign passport I hold and it works, beeps, but almost every app crashes right at the moment it scans in.

I have non-rooted Android 5.02

Check out "Banking card reader NFC (EMV)"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.github.devnied.emvnfccard

Does the card have the NFC logo on it?

I think that not all RFID cards are NFC.

I believe I tried banking card reader app. It doesn't scan. And no, the card doesn't have NFC logo. I also had another ccard with a chip but doesn't scan either.

I figured out the passport issue though. All nfc info apps were crashing when I was scanning my passport but there was one app that specifically scanned passports only and it worked great.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones