• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I want a Nexus 4 but I am on Verizon...ideas/switching plan?

Ahh I see. I ordered the cable off amazon.

I see it as very useful. Have a 8gb or 16gb jump drive for road trips or traveling. Keep movies and extra mp3s that you would need when out of range of wifi or data. Everything else is on the cloud.

For day to day use just fill up the SD space....but having this as a back-up pre-road trip is awesome.

Upvote 0
My reasons for giving Verizon the boot would be Nexus 4, and cheaper phone plans or prepaid.
Problems with this are, Verizon is the only provider that had service at my wife's work, so even if I dump Verizon and go on prepaid she wants to stay on Verizon, the cost will be practically the same. Family plan = $180, single plan + prepaid = $110 + $60.
And the nexus 4 isn't enough for me. I keep a ton of music, pictures, and videos on my phone.

Upvote 0
I think I'm going to leave Verizon as well for the nexus 4 on t-mobile. Right now I'm paying $80 after taxes to verizon even with my employer's discount. I'm planning on getting the $30/month plan with t-mobile which I'm guessing will be about $40 after taxes. In the past year with verizon, I've only gone over 100 minutes twice, once I used 115 minutes and the other time about 120 minutes. This is how it pans out for me.

Sell Gnex (275)
Buy Nex4 (-365)
VZW ETF (-240)
Plan Savings over 2 years (960)

Net result is a savings of $630.

Upvote 0
I'm currently on the T-Mobile $30 with 100 mins and 5 gb data on long island. Best app to use for conserving minutes IMO is the vonage app. Its free, easy to set up and you keep your number. All outgoing calls in the us are free. Works great on just data alone no need for wifi.

I'd definitely use this on wifi but how much data do you use for a call over data? Just curious cause I'd probably hit this up.

Upvote 0
Well, haven't really recorded my use and just sold my gnex yesterday. But I say I'd use the vonage app for 200 mins a month, with my regular data use I.e. 5 emails a day, check Facebook many times a day, weekend pics with the gf and instant upload to google +, torrent downloads, etc....I rarely Max at 3 gb of data a month. I'd say between 1 and 2 gb a month. If you have access to wifi than your data cap definetly shouldn't be an issue

Reactions: alfick3
Upvote 0
Which market are you looking at? I doubt real life speed comparisons will come down to 1/8th the speed on T-mobile.
The day I tested, I was in the 20720 area code. The specific area was not using HSPA+, but coincidentally, it also touched on an area of consideration-- coverage. I tested three times and used two VZW LTE devices. I'm not completely sold on the results, so I'll certainly test again (as I'd love nothing more than more flexibility with similar data speeds;)).

Even on HSPA+ 21, you should get an average download of somewhere between 5 and 10 mbps (I get 7-12 on my GSM Galaxy Nexus all the time) on T-mobile. Verizon's LTE speeds in my area - under good conditions - can get to 15-20 mbps (although generally it's lower).
The latter LTE speeds were closer to what I was getting (15-17), within the same coverage area. The HSPA speeds were in the ~2 mbps range. I assume HSPA+ will be faster, but it's the issue of finding an area. Browsing T-Mobile's site for a map, they don't seem to make the distinction between 3g and 4g, making it more difficult than it needs to be. Any ideas?

As for Google releasing an LTE version, I doubt it very much. They are releasing the unlocked HSPA+ version specifically because the proprietary carrier mumbo jumbo and hoop-jumping required for LTE.
Certainly too true, but since Google relies on sheer volume with Android, I'm hoping they backpedal on this one-- they've been burned before, and came back and launched the GN on the network. While VZW is certainly a stubborn carrier, their client-base is nothing to sneeze at. Time will tell.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones