• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Icecream sandwitch update ?

One more question can I use this update tab now in my settings ? It was never there before and is new. Can some one tell me a little more about this ?

Attachments

• SC20111202-141451.png
    SC20111202-141451.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 112
Upvote 0
My phone is on Rogers and I put this firmware on and it works great! Much faster than the 2.3.4 I had previously. Follow the instructions on the XDA link and you should be good to go. It took 3.5 minutes to flash!

XDA Site Instructions: [ROM+Guide]Official i9100 Firmwares KG, KH, KI1/2/3/4/8, KJ1/2/3, KK2/5 Download - xda-developers

2.3.6 XWKK2 http://www.multiupload.com/PBBE9HBXTS

There is a XWKK5 Frankenstien build on the XDA site also but I found it to run slower than the KK2 so I flashed back.

I wanted to ask if there is a big difference in the battery consumption with the new update, I'm currently using XXKG6, 2.3.4 rooted with under cloaked to 1GHZ and my battery stays for 24 h with playing games.

Should I update the firmware to XWKK2 - 2.3.6 ?! I have few questions, After I update it :

1) I will loose root, so I will need to re-root it?
2) Do I need to download a new kernel? Or new ROM? I see all these lighting roms, Revolution roms and etc.
3) Until now I downloaded the 2.3.6 XWKK2 from the link above, once I flash it on my phone through ODIN, what is the next step?

I already know how to root, flash and update kernels, but do I need to know anything additional about this specific one ?!

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
I wanted to ask if there is a big difference in the battery consumption with the new update, I'm currently using XXKG6, 2.3.4 rooted with under cloaked to 1GHZ and my battery stays for 24 h with playing games.

Should I update the firmware to XWKK2 - 2.3.6 ?! I have few questions, After I update it :

1) I will loose root, so I will need to re-root it?
2) Do I need to download a new kernel? Or new ROM? I see all these lighting roms, Revolution roms and etc.
3) Until now I downloaded the 2.3.6 XWKK2 from the link above, once I flash it on my phone through ODIN, what is the next step?

I already know how to root, flash and update kernels, but do I need to know anything additional about this specific one ?!

Thanks in advance.

I can't say about the battery life as I've never used the stock kk2.
1. You will lose root so you will need to reroot after updating firmware.
2. You will need to download the cfroot kk2 kernel to reroot
You don't need to use a custom rom if you are happy with stock firmware. But if you want to try a custom rom there is no point upgrading to kk2 as the custom rom will change your firmware.
3. Once you've flashed kk2 just disconnect the usb cable. Nothing else needs to be done. Actually ignore that you want a rooted phone so go straight back into download mode and flash the cfroot kk2 kernel.

Reactions: Burner2004
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones