• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Icons disappear after connecting with PC?

Squirrel93

Lurker
Feb 2, 2012
Hi! I've had my Xperia Mini Pro for just over a month and I love it. The Facebook integration and everything is very convenient and so on, camera is great etc...

I do have one problem, however. Icons keep disappearing from my homescreen, some more than others. This usually seems to happen after syncing with a PC. I keep a lot of my most important apps in folders on the homescreen, and sometimes some of the folders are suddenly half-empty, and I have to re-locate them and put them back where they belong. This is a bit annoying, especially as I sometimes write Word documents on my phone (using Documents To Go app) and have to connect with the USB to sync with my PC.

EDIT: This mostly - or perhaps always, I'm not sure - seems to happen with the apps and programs which I have moved to my SD card to save space on the phone. Could this be an issue? I'm a total noob with smartphones so any help is appreciated.

(If anyone knows a wireless way of syncing Documents To Go, btw, I would be much obliged.)

Thanks for your time! :)

One thing to check, are the applications that these icons are for installed on the memory card and not the phone memory?
Yeah, sorry, realised this and edited just after you posted. (That sure was a fast reply, btw.) Indeed, it seems like the apps on the SD card are the ones that disappear. Not necessarily only when connecting with a PC, apparently, as Skype (which I just put on the SD card since it's so big) just disappeared and had to be refound.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately at this stage I have not found a working fix for this. it appears to be that the Homescreen requires to be able to read the application at all times and once you connect the handset to a PC the phone no longer reads the card and Homescreen assumes that as the application is not there it has been uninstalled. This prompts the Homescreen to remove the shortcut and does not add it back once the card is picked up again.

Reactions: Squirrel93
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones