• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ics language support

Was this a relevant question to you?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Great question

• Worst question

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tubuls

Lurker
Jul 14, 2012
Hello everyone, my question is very simple - is there a list of languages that ics support out of the box???

Does it support hebrew like on the iphone - can i select it from a list?

I'm asking this question regarding to ics in general - not for a specific smartphone with ics.

Thank you very much for your help.

This question actually needs to be smartphone specific, or at least ROM specific. Unlike the iPhone where there is only one version of iOS in every phone, in Android every manufacturer has a modified version of ICS. For example, my phone is released in South East Asia by Samsung, so it has Vietnamese, English(Philippines) and Bahasa among other languages it has out of the box. It however does not have French or other European languages, which I would expect Samsung phones in Europe to have. An HTC phone could have a larger or smaller set of preinstalled languages as well. Each manufacturer has a different list of languages on the phone.

Reactions: tubuls
Upvote 0
The base ICS released by Google is only applicable if you are using a Nexus phone, otherwise you'll have to use a version modified for your phone's hardware, which may or may not have the same language packs. For instance, a Galaxy Nexus stock Android 4.04 version is the official Google version released for a phone, the Nexus line. However, if you want ICS on a Samsung Galaxy SII, you need the Samsung ICS version, or a Custom ROM like CyanogenMod 9, which may not have the exact same language packs as the original Nexus ROM.

Again you fall into, different ROMs per phone means different language packs, means the question needs to be ROM/Phone specific.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones