• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If it sounds to good to be true...

Pops always said "If it sounds to good to be true, then It probably is." There is this guy on eBay
"jopodrake" selling brand new nexus ones for $250 + $10 shipping. I want this, but I'm nervous because brand new they end at auction around $350-$400. I've been watching this gut for about a week now and once one sells... he relists the same listing, Like basically... the page looks the same but has a different item number. He has sold at least 5 that Ive seen And at one particular time he had 4 listed at once... its always a 7 day auction and they normally sell within the first 4-6 hours.
Here is the current listing...
HTC Nexus One - eBay (item 250723069196 end time Nov-13-10 21:39:10 PST)

Well anyways I sent him a message...
Dear jopodrake,

I got a few questions about the phone. I am very interested in this phone, however I noticed you have 4 of these listed and was wondering how you came across so many. I also was wondering why so cheap, even at auction they are selling for about $400. Is the esn clean on these phones.

He responded with...
I don't know what do you mean by "esn".. can you be more clear? I am a technician I just take care of the sale. If you want on Monday someone can answar your question.

I then responded with...
Basically can the phone be activated without any problem?

And I haven't gotten a response.

Is there something I'm missing... did they make different versions of this phone or something? Ive heard of the different antennas in the nexus one but correct me if Im wrong but this looks like it supports 3g on both. Is that possible?

Something seems shady about the feedback for this person. I noticed that several people had exactly the same feedback response but the user IDs were different. I also noticed that the majority of the feedback was for purchases rather than for sales.

I got a few questions about the phone. I am very interested in this phone, however I noticed you have 4 of these listed and was wondering how you came across so many. I also was wondering why so cheap, even at auction they are selling for about $400. Is the esn clean on these phones.something?

ESN is only needed for a CDMA device that does not use a SIM card such as a Sprint or Verizon phone. GSM devices use IMEI numbers to identify a device.

Upvote 0
I think its definitely suspect, but if you want to follow it up just to be sure I don't blame you. I know I do. What I suggest is that you contact buyer protection and ask them if its 21 days from the date of purchase or his day of shipping. Either way if i remember correctly they make you wait 7 days after reporting the problem for them to try to resolve it. Check their details on buyer protection, if the phone is covered by it and they approve you can be paid back even if it is bunk

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones