• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If you have insurance on your phone, you *may* want to read this.

El Blacksheep

Android Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2009
http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...-you-eris-your-droid-yesterday-afternoon.html

This is a topic about how Asurion will no longer issue replacement Droids to Droid owners, and instead downgrade them to either the Eris or Devour (or Incredible if you're "lucky")

So, why is this important to you? Because your phone may be next. Here's my post in that topic:

I decided to call VZW about this. I didn't bother to record the convo but it went something like this:

Me: I've heard that the insurance for the Motorola Droid will no longer replace damaged or stolen phones with the same model phone, is this true?

Rep: I believe so...

(he then asks for my account information, and I provide)

Rep: ...yes, that is correct, I don't know what the hell happened but it looks like we no longer even carry that phone here at Verizon and all shipments have been canceled.

Me: Well if that's the case, I have no need for the insurance on my plan if I'm going to receive an inferior device if my phone gets damaged or stolen. Can I drop it from my plan?

Rep: (reluctantly) yes sir, I can certainly do that for you. *mumbles something* By the way, I don't think the Eris and Devour are going to be around much longer either so if something were to happen you might get a more comparable device...

Rest of the conversation is pretty uninteresting, it wraps up, I now pay $7.99 / mo less on my phone bill, and for what it's worth it looks like the Eris and Devour are gonna get axed soon.

Hoo-rah.

Also; yes, I posted this in the Eris forum. Felt you guys needed to know this info too.

I presume you're in England (the law is different in Scotland and the US). Although the insurance company has given an undertaking, this is not a contract so they are not bound by it. However, the Financial Markets and Services Act requires insurance companies to treat their customers fairly and you have grounds for complaint.I suggest you write to them pointing out what has happened. That way, it will be dealt with by the insurance company and not by someone in a call centre on a different continent.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones