• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If you're having MMS problems

I know I'm late to the party, but I've been having probs sending/receiving MMS for weeks. Some work, some don't. Read this thread and it mentioned disabling WiFi, and I noticed, the only ones that didn't work were the ones I tried to send from home, when my WiFi is connected. Sure enough, turned it off, the queued messages went thru like a charm.

So it may not be the same for everybody, but turning off wifi worked for me.

--edit-- PS...if anyone has the same problem, and disabling wifi fixes it, it's a quick fix with Tasker. :) Set an event trigger for Received Text, type MMS, and then for the task, toggle wifi off, wait, and toggle wifi back on. :)

Reactions: cwinne
Upvote 0
I'm wondering if it has to do with the ISP you are connected to while on Wifi? I have't tried sending/receiving MMS from Wifi at work yet where we have a business class setup. I will do that tomorrow, if I remember :cool:

I keep Wifi on at home and 4G off due to it being faster, less battery drain and also some weird no signal areas in our house (hence the battery drain on 4G).

I usually remember to turn off Wifi, turn on 4G when SENDING a MMS to someone. But it's frustrating when I RECEIVE one when on Wifi and can't see the picture w/o rebooting usually. Although now that I'm on Handcent I think it does it right away.

Steve

Upvote 0
Here it is Jan 22, 2013, 4.1.1 is out mainstream and on my device, and my VZW based Samsung Galaxy Nexus is still having MMS message problems. Tried all the suggestions, WiFi off, 3g/4g only. Pulling battery and rebooting (as suggested by VZW rep in store in December) worked a few times but only occasionally, can't get that to work now either.

Can't send, can't receive, can't get no satisfaction.......

My next course of action is to plop myself in a VZW store and ask what they are going to do about this. I am paying for a service I am not receiving.

Just tried it again after changing my preferred network to CDMA and rebooting and lo and behold, it worked. What is really funny is a pic I tried to send about 24 hours ago also suddenly flushed with a current (right now) time stamp and moved down in my txt message stream to the current time I have ongoing with my son.

But, I have a friend that tried to send me a MMS yesterday also and I still can't download that.

Bottom line, huge issue for VZW and I'm really not seeing them moving to address.

Upvote 0
OK, Jelly Bean 4.1.1, WiFi on, but CDMA, not 4G/LTE, and I can send/receive MMS messages on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus. I have previous posts today outlining some of the problems I have had, some of which sparked a renewed interest and I tried another experiment (CDMA). Would be real curious to know if anyone else with this issue can get the same result I did by switching back to 3G.

Reactions: killpuppies
Upvote 0
I can't believe this problem with sending/receiving MMS (while on wifie) still exists for Verizon in 2015. I recently had a few important MMS messages not received/sent (Wifi on and Verizon Data on), which led me to this old thread. I still have the older Samsung Nexus phone with Android 4.2.2 on Verizon.

I've been holding out for a phone I truly would like. Tried the iphone 6+ but hated it, especially iTunes trying to take over everything, even on my laptop.

I resolved the MMS (while on wifi) issue by installing Go SMS Pro (free!), and while still on Wifi (with data on also), I suddenly received a bunch of MMS messages I never received in the past right after installing Go SMS Pro :eek:

Now I would like to know if people are having any MMS problems with new Verizon phones I am considering; Motorola Nexus 6, LG G3, Samsung Note 4 (and soon-to-come Samsung S6 when it ships)? TIA

*Edit*
Well, I guess Go SMS pro is not cure-all, either. My friends with AT&T are tellling me they are still not getting my MMS messages even though my mssage says "sent" on my end; people on Verizon are getting my MMS messages fine. Oh, well, at least my group messages are not getting stuck saying "sending" forever anymore..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The MMS server RAPES media. Why would you want that? Upgrade to

Open Standards

like Xmpp Texting... many clients support in-stream media (images, videos, audio) as well as location also supported in end2end encryption like OTR or GPG

Conversations
ChatSecure
Xabber [soon]

Unlike that one other app (whatapp, or other evil) you will NOT be having all peers install a one-choice app or a one-choice domain. You're privacy is in your hands: opt to encrypt.

Oh yes, and VERY UNLIKE "free" unlimited sms texting / mms, Xmpp Texting is free-free.

Mobile plans without needlessly costly sms text is LESS COSTLY than plans without outdated technology.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones