• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Ignore list for Close All apps

B

brianpitt

In earlier versions of the Android OS I would use a task killer to keep things tidy and maximize battery life. It is my understanding, both from reading forums like this and talking with the Verizon rep, that task killers in recent versions of the OS are bad and should not be used. I bricked my first S3 and the rep told me it was caused by ATK. He showed me how to hold the home button to access the running apps and you can close all from there. That's all well and good, but I have yet to find a way to put certain apps in an "ignore list" like I could with ATK. I use Skype for work and it is important that I stay connected in case any issues come up. If I hit "Close All" from the recent apps list this kills Skype and I no longer get notifications if people send me messages. However, the strange thing is that the task bar icon still shows that I'm connected. If I select Skype it re-logs in as if I'm opening it for the first time. I want to use the built in app management features and I won't install a task killer since it supposedly bricked my last phone, but the built in one just doesn't cut it if you can't put important apps in an ignore list. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for me?

Welcome to the community :)
Simple answer... dont "close apps" unless theres a big scary drama where you have to. Theres loads of posts that could explain why better than me that theyre better left "open". Use the "Recents" (hold home button) to choose an app you wana go back to. No point hittin the "close all", honestly.
On my s3 i dont even have a button taking me to the "recents" "task manager" page because it just isnt needed (by me anyway)
As for why advanced task killer was blamed for the death of your last phone... wish id been there... that was a lie. If youd came on here we could probably have helped you recover it :beer:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones