• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I'm having some trouble with apps.

Cain_

Lurker
Apr 1, 2014
Hi,
I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace II I8160 phone, not rooted. Its internal storage is 1.1 Gigabytes, and I have a class 10 SD Card with 8 Gigabytes.
I want to download a large app (Asphalt 8) which is 1.5 Gigabytes, more than the amount of internal storage that I have, but I can fit it on my SD Card. However, I am unable to download it from the Play Store, and I am unsure whether it is because it downloads directly to the phone (internal storage), or because of the cache partition. When I try to download the app I receive error 498. I have tried to fix the cache problem by wiping my cache with a cache cleaner app, and by manually wiping the cache of Google Play Services, Google Play Store and Google Services Framework in the settings, and then restarting my phone.
When I downloaded and installed the APK file from the internet onto my SD Card I was able to launch the application but received another error saying that I didn’t have enough space on my memory card to install the game. So my question is, what now? Is there any way that I can get this game? If so, how do I do it? Will I need to root my phone? Any help or input is greatly appreciated
:)
P.S. I know that it is possible because there are people (that I can’t get hold of) that have the exact app on the exact phone.

Hi Cain.
Bad news is that you will not be able to use this app with your phone in its current state and the Android framework uses its internal storage for stuff other than storing apps, and as you have said, this is far too small.
HOWEVER...
You CAN change the state of your phone with a bit of magic and a few sparkly things.
What you need to do is download a version of Google's adb from the Android SDK, link your phone and set it up to use the external SD card instead of the internal by default. I did this with my Galaxy Y about 75 years ago and it worked a treat.
You shouldn't have any problems doing this yourself. Follow this link for full instructions:
insufficient memory - Android Devices: use external storage as a default storage - Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange
Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Ok so I did all of that stuff, my phone is set to automatically download to external storage. However, when I try to download the app, I still receive error 498. I'm pretty certain now that the cache partition is stopping me, and even when I completely wipe it and restart my phone it still stops me from downloading the app. Is there any way that I can fix this now? Will I need to root my phone?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones