• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

im planning to buy a Phone with Helio P60 and i have question about Chips

Big Boar

Apr 23, 2016
hello people! i have question. im planning to buy a helio p60 phone and i wonder if it can play very graphical games like black desert mobile on max settings without lag or frame drops.
also i want to compare it with snapdragon 636 - which one has better GPU for gaming and why?
and is there advantage of higher clock speed of CPU for gaming? i heard that everything about gaming is only handled by GPU, maybe the CPU speed affects the loading speed?
and finally do you have idea why some heavy games have limited settings for helio p60? some can't play in full HD or higher resolution like black desert mobile. is it because the helio p60 can't handle it, or its not supported? thank you!

I don't claim to be an expert on this, but a few observations:

There's more to a game than the graphics, and both cpu and gpu will be used. If the game is graphically intensive then it's likely the gpu will be more important, but that's not the same as "everything about gaming is only handled by the GPU".

Performance isn't as simple as clock speeds, specs or even benchmarks. For gaming it's no good having a gpu which is able to produce blinding speeds in a 2 minute benchmark if it overheats and throttles down after 2.5 minutes. This also means that the same SoC in different bodies can be more or less suitable for gaming (depending on heat dissipation).

Since at the moment there aren't many devices with the Mali M72 MP3 GPU (used by the P60) available it's hard to find very solid data on its performance in real life, and even harder to find a comparison between the p60 (pitched as high-end) and the midrange s636. It's hard to extrapolate from other devices which use different-sized M72 clusters: the Kirin 970 (M72 MP12, so 12 clusters) in the Huawei Mate 10 seems to do worse in power vs fps than the Exynos 8910 (M72 MP18) (source: Anandtech S9/S9+ review), so what this means for the smaller MP3 cluster used by the P60 I don't know - you can be sure its raw performance will be less than those, but power vs performance, who knows?

To be completely honest, if I was into gaming then right now I'd look first at a phone with a Snapdragon 845, or 835 as a fallback. But those surely cost more than the P60.

Is there a particular reason why you have chosen this SoC as your reason for choosing a phone?

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
I don't claim to be an expert on this, but a few observations:

There's more to a game than the graphics, and both cpu and gpu will be used. If the game is graphically intensive then it's likely the gpu will be more important, but that's not the same as "everything about gaming is only handled by the GPU".

Performance isn't as simple as clock speeds, specs or even benchmarks. For gaming it's no good having a gpu which is able to produce blinding speeds in a 2 minute benchmark if it overheats and throttles down after 2.5 minutes. This also means that the same SoC in different bodies can be more or less suitable for gaming (depending on heat dissipation).

Since at the moment there aren't many devices with the Mali M72 MP3 GPU (used by the P60) available it's hard to find very solid data on its performance in real life, and even harder to find a comparison between the p60 (pitched as high-end) and the midrange s636. It's hard to extrapolate from other devices which use different-sized M72 clusters: the Kirin 970 (M72 MP12, so 12 clusters) in the Huawei Mate 10 seems to do worse in power vs fps than the Exynos 8910 (M72 MP18) (source: Anandtech S9/S9+ review), so what this means for the smaller MP3 cluster used by the P60 I don't know - you can be sure its raw performance will be less than those, but power vs performance, who knows?

To be completely honest, if I was into gaming then right now I'd look first at a phone with a Snapdragon 845, or 835 as a fallback. But those surely cost more than the P60.

Is there a particular reason why you have chosen this SoC as your reason for choosing a phone?
well... i got interested on its feature. its more power efficient, there's "CorePilot" that keeps the phone cool and smooth for long gaming, it has higher clock speed that SD 636, at it packs with AI features.

Upvote 0
This is why I'd like to see some proper technical tests before giving a verdict (not just crap like Antutu scores). Companies make marketing statements about every SoC, but those are essentially worthless, and the specs don't tell you the whole story. Unfortunately I've not been able to find the sort of data I'd like. I suspect that in real world use they might be rather similar.

One thing which occurs to me is that MediaTek devices don't have a good reputation for software updates (which may or may not matter to you), though that always depends on the manufacturer and model anyway (i.e. buying a Snapdragon-based device does not guarantee good support).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones