• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Improving Battery Life?

The only thing I don't love about my Rezound is the battery life. Yes, I know this is going to be the case with these 4G mini-computers, but in lieu of getting external chargers, spare batteries, etc, I just first wanted to know how I can improve the battery from the core of the phone, specifically when it comes to rooting, romming, and/or under/over-clocking. I'm a newbie to all this stuff so seriously appreciate direction.. but first just some questions:

1) I was thinking of using CleanTOOL to at least remove the VZ bloatware. In your experience (those of you who've done so), does this improve battery life, and by how much?

2) And to go further, have any of you who've rooted and are running a different ROM experienced drastic improvement in battery life? If so, what ROM/kernel are you using?

3) Have any of you used a great battery saver from the market that has really helped with battery life? if so, which ones?

4) anything else?

Seriously appreciate the help, just trying to get the most out of this amazing device (without sacrificing too much performance..)

Thanks for the input. Sorry if i wasn't as clear in my original post, I don't mean to say that I thought just rooting period would improve battery life.. I wanted to know if removing or freezing bloatware would improve battery life, and if so, by around how much.

-So the process to go about this would just be to unlock and root, then install Titanium Backup to freeze the bloat correct? What about CleanTOOL, won't that also remove the apps? Preference toward either method, and ss the battery life increase only minimal (like..5%?)

-In your experiences, which ROMs and Kernels have given you the best results for increasing battery life? Appreciate the suggestions.

Upvote 0
Battery life is not a factor of only the software installed on the phone. Despite the software I find that if you have WiFi and Mobile turned on and the phone attempts to find a signal frequently, battery life suffers most in weak signal areas. I've been told that a 4G signal uses up more power resources too though I've seen that claim disputed. Also apps that perform a lot of tasks in the background such as weather apps that refresh at a regular frequency, they can eat up power resources. Just some other factors to consider.

Upvote 0
one word... AOSP ;)

i got the best life on my thunderbolt by running cm7 with an undervolted,but not overclocked kernel.

since there are not really any stable AOSP roms for us yet, you can go thru and "streamline" as much as possible. i make a game out of seeing how many things that say "htc" in the name i can freeze or delete before it affects the phones stability/performance. you might be surprised how much you can actually get rid of. you can even eliminate "htc sense" if you install another launcher first.

i know,i know, alot of folks like sense,and i have to admit the rezound runs really smooth and fast for a sense rom. :cool:
in no particular order you can:
-remove as much bloat as your comfortable with
-minimize the frequency syncs of any widgets or apps that do so
-turn down your screen brightness
-reduce the screen time out time
-run a custom kernel that will let you underclock and undervolt(be careful messing with voltages)
-underclock when not plugged in(i havent noticed any percievable difference at 972 hz)
-turn off 4g. during the day i use my phone mostly to check email,phandroid,text,and talk. i dont need 4g for what little data those things use,so ill typically keep it off while at work.
-get a bigger battery :eek: :D

Upvote 0
custom ROM, kernel, undervolting or underclocking. Are the hard core stuff.

You can also use titanium backup to remove apps. There is also juice defender to manage various power drains, works very well. Then you can also use an app like autostarts which can let you modify/disabled apps you don't use our want from turning on at various trigger points.

The biggest thing is LTE! All devices with this radio on have the same core battery issue. You can test it your self. Go one week with just wifi as much as possible, another week with just 3g, then compare to just 4g use.you be the judge.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones