• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

In the market for a new phone? 2.0

Jan 11, 2010
With more information on the EVO, the Incredible finally being released and how it all fares against the Droid, probably the most popular, high-end Android phone, I thought I'd post one of these releases, comparing the three.

EVO has Sense, for sure, now so those that hope to run stock Android and avoid the fluff while still having the best phone on the market (complete with two cameras) will have to hope and wait for a root.

Our friends over at Wirefly are running a series of side by side comparisons of some of our favorite Androids against Sprint’s upcoming HTC EVO 4G. The charts are very well put together, and show just about every spec you could ever want to know in a clear, easy to read format. A fight to the pain; GO!
They’ve got the EVO 4G vs. Verizon’s freshly-released Droid Incredible:
wirefly_evo_incredible_compare.png

And the EVO 4G vs. the best-selling Android to date; the Motorola DROID:
wirefly_evo_droid_compare.png

Of course no pricing is available for the EVO yet, but the craziest thing about this comparison is that they have dropped the price of the Moto DROID down to $19.99! That’s just insane for a phone of the DROID’s caliber.

Key Differences

• 4G: The HTC Evo 4G is the first phone on a U.S. network to boast 4G connectivity, making it capable of connecting to Sprint’s WiMax network (where available) and enabling the device to reach peak download speeds of over 10 Mbps and peak upload speeds of 1 Mbps. In areas without 4G connectivity, the EVO will still operate on Sprint’s 3G network. Of course, the Motorola DROID connects to Verizon’s speedy 3G network.
  • Power: The Motorola DROID is a powerful device in its own right, but succeeding the DROID by a number of months, the EVO 4G is at the top of its class, armed with the latest processor and more RAM. The EVO 4G has a 1GHz Snapdragon processor and 512MB of RAM, while the DROID has a 550MHz processor and 256MB of RAM. While the difference may not be significantly noticeable in most day-to-day operations (e.g. checking email), the EVO 4Gwill outperform the DROID, particularly when many applications are running simultaneously.
  • Display: Like the HTC HD2 (T-Mobile), the HTC EVO 4G is equipped with a huge and gorgeous 4.3-inch touch sensitive 480

Reactions: jaboda79
Sorry, but that is just way too big... what ever happened to "pocketable"?? If anything, I would buy it as a toy and keep my lovely little Eris as my phone.

You know how the line between tablets and netbooks and laptops have all been blurred by the iPad? I think the same will happen between tablets and smartphones with the next few smartphones that are going to be released. The HD2 and this EVO are just ridiculous when it comes to size, but you gotta admit, the displays are really nice.

But yeah, why so big? It's definitely not fitting in jean pockets.

I can't wait for my NE2 to come up. Thought I might be keeping the Eris longer than that, but with what they have now, it's only going to get harder to not upgrade. It'll be interesting to see developments in the coming year until I can dive in again. Thanks for the info.

Make sure you note that the EVO is coming out for Sprint, as of right now. It may jump carriers, but I doubt it.

Upvote 0
There's always one whiner.

The great thing the article is that we can see what is ahead. I don't think that the smartphone market is ready to bottom out, so we see just how fast things are advancing. Laptops and Desktops have become boring because they pretty much reached a speed that pleases the masses. It will be December before my upgrade but I'm excited about what will be out by then. Especially on the Android front. Apple is about to be owned in this market!

As an aside, I think that the major limiting factor for smartphones is battery consumption. When we hit fuel cells or a similar technology...we can have freaking laptops on a 3.5" display.

Upvote 0
HTC Incredible despite the issues they have had with it as a phone. I still like the N1 better than the Incredible only if the N1 was rooted :p I'm a fan of sense, so I would want a Sense rom on it. But if ur locked in with Verizon and I like verizon better than other carriers. Than you have the choice of Incredible, Eris, Droid... coming soon will be the LG Alloy and Sometime in the future we should see Motorol Shadow (Droid2) and maybe even the HTC Scorpion(even though i think this will be the N2 with Android 2.2)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones