• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Increased life for Desire battery - Really works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too Kopite i can now report that after finishing this at 12pm its now almost 9pm and its at 80% ! That is an incredible difference , usually id be coming in and sticking it straight back on charge but im going to see just how long before it gets into the red.
What im thinking though is what happens next time that i just do a normal charge ? Will it just return to the usual 14-15 hours max .
Shame about Reina today but the amount of times he has saved our asses he is allowed the odd mistake .

Upvote 0
As suggested I turned off alway on mobile data, turned off background data, put normal wallpaper instead of live wallpaper, I've gone 14 hours and still got 70% battery left, made several phone calls and sent loads of texts, stuffed internet too, it is loads better, it does come at a cost though, without background data on can't go in market, and obviously auto Facebook and weather don't update, it actually bombed sense friend stream up leading me to delete Facebook account and re instate, without always on mobile on if you go into a spot with no signal or it drops below 3g/H then it stays off, connecting to internet means you have to switch it back on again, if you want extended battery life then its the way to do it, but I like my auto updates, so id rather burn a bit of battery, if you stay off the net, you can get 2 days out of it anyway with all auto stuff on, internet zaps it! I've got HTC desire on t mobile UK, still on 2.1, waiting for froyo to land, and when angry birds does I'll be flat in a few hours, hope info helps, cheers

Upvote 0
I had pretty decent battery data before anyway, I followed the instructions to the letter (from 5% charge or so) but I saw no improvement. After 19 hours or so of light to moderate use (10 minutes or thereabouts of voice calls, 5-6 times checking my emails, sending 3-4 texts, using the camera for about 10 minutes and 5 minutes of browsing) the battery was 8%...

Upvote 0
Big difference for me!
I'm at 52% after 50 hours with light use (2h awake - some calls, email, sms and mostly chess games).
Usually dies after 40+ hours with same level of use.

Call me jaded but I cannot see how you can get more than 24 hours out of this phone without turning everything off via widgets and only enabling them when you need it.

These are my settings:
- wifi ON
- BT ON
- GPS OFF (I rarely need it)
- AutoSync - ON
- screen brightness 100%
- 3G ON (important: I was near APs most of these 50hours so I only used mobile network for 2-3 hours)
- vibrate on soft key OFF
- market notifications OFF
- gmail/calendar notifications ON (I don't use other accounts)
- sound/vibrate on calls/msgs ON

Have fun!

Reactions: Dresire
Upvote 0
Didn't make any difference and I tried both methods. Even tried a third method of charging to full and doing a battery cache reset. Still only lasts maybe 16 hours with 3G and the sim radio on (Which is still using 47% of my battery time) Turning the phone to airplane mode saves alot. I have syncing on every 3 hours so its not even using the 3G that much.

Sounds too good to be true and is.

Upvote 0
I tried this a month or so ago (as mentioned, it's not a new trick) and it had no effect for me. My phone would just about last a day. However, since flashing my current Psychosis 2.1 ROM my battery life has pretty much doubled. So I'm pretty sure something in Sense was wasting mine but no idea what it was specifically. I do put my phone in aerolane mode overnight (01:00 -> 07:00) but even so I ran it all weekend (unplugged friday night before bed) and 48 hours later on Sunday night it was still on 30%. That was with fairly light usage (a couple of hours of internet, about 15-20 texts, not much else) but still, very happy with that.

Upvote 0
I've tried this with 2 batteries each one a different way the 2nd battery seams a lot better so far. It's been 4:30 min since last boot and it is still at 100%. I did this one by charging for the day on my dock then putting it in my phone. I proceeded to boot it and then switch it off again. Then connecting it to my charger till the light went green. Then unplugging and switching it off. I then plugged it back in till the light went green again. I repeated this about 10 times switching it on and off every time. The first battery I charged and then connected again like the first post said. I could not get an improvement like that so tomorrow I will try that battery the second way and see if it helps. Btw wifi is on, BT is off. Gps is toggled on, auto sync on mobile data is on but cause it's on wifi it obviously is not connected. Screen brightness is on 40% I think. Cheers

Upvote 0
I've tried this a 2nd time, may have messed up the first time round. I've hardly used my phone since unplugging it but it looks quite promising. Unplugged it 2hr 30mins ago and still on 99%.

itNNn.jpg

x8885.jpg

I'll keep an eye on the battery.

Upvote 0
Didn't make any difference and I tried both methods. Even tried a third method of charging to full and doing a battery cache reset. Still only lasts maybe 16 hours with 3G and the sim radio on (Which is still using 47% of my battery time) Turning the phone to airplane mode saves alot. I have syncing on every 3 hours so its not even using the 3G that much.

Sounds too good to be true and is.

What is clearing the battery cache supposed to do, and how is it done?

I tried this charging method, not much difference I'm afraid. I'm gonna try again now that Im rooted :)

Upvote 0
Big difference for me!
I'm at 52% after 50 hours with light use (2h awake - some calls, email, sms and mostly chess games).
Usually dies after 40+ hours with same level of use.

These are my settings:
- wifi ON
- BT ON
- GPS OFF (I rarely need it)
- AutoSync - ON
- screen brightness 100%
- 3G ON (important: I was near APs most of these 50hours so I only used mobile network for 2-3 hours)
- vibrate on soft key OFF
- market notifications OFF
- gmail/calendar notifications ON (I don't use other accounts)
- sound/vibrate on calls/msgs ON

Have fun!

ok i'm confused here you have only used mobile network for 2-3 hours and yet your awake time is only 2 hours for the entire 50 hours?

Mine with frequent use is at 2 hours awake after being on for 7 hours, my battery is currently sitting around 45% which would tally with your stats for the wake time.

How frequently are you using your phone to make it last 4 days?

Upvote 0
Maybe a slight improvement for me but only when the phone is in standby. Still eats the battery when I'm using anything. This improvement could also have something to do with SetCUP, which I started using at the same time. Might try it again at the weekend when my battery is very low as it was at 80% when I tried it.

Upvote 0
What is clearing the battery cache supposed to do, and how is it done?

I tried this charging method, not much difference I'm afraid. I'm gonna try again now that Im rooted :)

Well I tried the 8hours then 2 smaller hour long charges. and the charge fully then keep charging until green on then off for about 10 times. Obviously simplifying from full instructions.

Another thing found was charge fully on, turn off then charge to make sure its on green then on a rooted phone boot+vol down select the recovery for clockwork then select advanced and clear battery cache (or something similar)

However none of the three work.

Upvote 0
The day after I did this I seemed to get double-life (I was about 50% at bedtime when I'm usually in the red). But I hadn't realized that on that day I didn't use it as an mp3 player.

The next few days when I went back to using Mixzing (with EQ enabled) to and from work, I was below 30% by bedtime. So a little better than when I first got the Desire, and miles better than when I first rooted and installed LeeDroid (that seemed to cause the battery to tank), but nothing too glorious.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones