• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Incredible Battery life with simple fixes...you don't need an extended battery!

this is ridiculous to be honest

i have no intention of shutting anything off, or limiting my use at all since im paying a great price for it.

and the fact i can only get 4-5 hours before needing a charge is just ridiculous.
(

I agree with you, you shouldn't have to greatly limit connectivity on a phone with these capabilities. If you are getting only 4-5 hours, something must be wrong. My wife's phone was going that long when her phone was staying awake the whole time before a factory reset. We all know that the phone can benefit from a larger battery but I think you should be able to get atleast double this time with normal use, unless you're a very heavy user or getting really poor signal.

Upvote 0
And for anyone wondering, I've been tracking my battery time the last couple days and it seems that I usually get about 10-11 hours with normal use before I hit the 30% mark. As stated before, I do connect to wi-fi at home and work where I spend the majority of my time. Today, I'm going to not use wi-fi at all and see what the difference is.

Upvote 0
Never connected to wi-fi and used my phone more than I usually do yesterday, had a long day so kept it up til it died. Got almost 12 hours, so will def go a lot further when using wi-fi connection but I thought that wasn't bad. I cannot stress enough how much better my battery has been without certain choice apps killing it.

and those apps are...? :)

i don't see anything draining my battery more than anything else, i get usually a full day out of it unless i use google nav, then it just melts away. sigh.

Upvote 0
Like I put in the original post, I personally noticed TWC and Weather Bug apps to use quite a bit of battery. Also Advanced Task Killer appeared to use more than it saved. I believe a great deal of the problem is with apps that people use and continue to run all the time and don't even know its still on/draining battery or keeping the phone awake longer than it should.

Upvote 0
I will add a tip tip to this, but it requires you to be rooted.

Power off your phone. Charge it full. Turn it on and boot to clockwork recovery.

Go to advanced and delete battery stats, and then reboot.

Ive been off the charger since 3am, been syncing fb, twitter, flikr, two email accounts and even made aphone call. Its 10:45 right now and I am at 90%. Thats with nothing but resetting battery stats and turning off always on data.

Reactions: yankeeboy
Upvote 0
I will add a tip tip to this, but it requires you to be rooted.

Power off your phone. Charge it full. Turn it on and boot to clockwork recovery.

Go to advanced and delete battery stats, and then reboot.

Ive been off the charger since 3am, been syncing fb, twitter, flikr, two email accounts and even made aphone call. Its 10:45 right now and I am at 90%. Thats with nothing but resetting battery stats and turning off always on data.

I am going to try this...just deleted the stats. I must admit a significant decrease in battery life since the 2.2 leak...it started out better and has gotten worse.

Upvote 0
So, yesterday I got the dreaded "low storage" notification even tho my storage isn't low. I did some research and it appeared that most cases were due to HTC mail and could only be fixed with a factory reset. So, I did this yesterday and got my phone up to the same specs I was using but only added a few apps (the ones I really use) from the market.

Today, I've used my phone like normal and my Up time is at 18:42 and the battery is at 71% left. Would have rather not had to reset, but it wasn't a big deal and surprised about the battery going this much longer. More and more I think the actual battery isn't the issue. Wonder if 2.2 will make a big difference?

Upvote 0
So, yesterday I got the dreaded "low storage" notification even tho my storage isn't low. I did some research and it appeared that most cases were due to HTC mail and could only be fixed with a factory reset. So, I did this yesterday and got my phone up to the same specs I was using but only added a few apps (the ones I really use) from the market.

Today, I've used my phone like normal and my Up time is at 18:42 and the battery is at 71% left. Would have rather not had to reset, but it wasn't a big deal and surprised about the battery going this much longer. More and more I think the actual battery isn't the issue. Wonder if 2.2 will make a big difference?
well really it never has been the battery, yeah its small but its not like its broken. obviously you can and need to write better code for battery life that can make the battery last longer. It still should have atleast 1500 though.

Upvote 0
I am going to try this...just deleted the stats. I must admit a significant decrease in battery life since the 2.2 leak...it started out better and has gotten worse.

I wish I had good news to report, but I don't. Battery was dead by 1:30PM. I even tried to disable always on data, but could never get the device to turn the mobile network back on after an hour.

I am seriously considering a complete wipe to factory 2.1 as I use this for business and am concerned all this tinkering will cause me long term issues. It shouldn't be that long until the VZW update comes I hope. Can anyone recommend a Sense ROM 2.1 that might change my mind other than Clockwork? Froyo isnt ready for me yet

Upvote 0
If you charge the phone while it's off to start with, do you still need to bump charge?

No just unplug when the light is green and youre all set....bump charging is only done if you've been charging the phone while it's on.

Not true. Try it yourself. Turn phone off and plug in to charger. Let charge until green. Unplug, wait about 5 seconds, and plug back in. Your light will be amber and your phone will continue to charge for another ~ 5-30 minutes.

Bump charging works even if you charge with the phone off.. This is especially true if your battery charge was really low when you initially plugged in.

Upvote 0
Has anyone tried this yet? Just plug it in and it's ready in the morning just like bump charging without the hassle.
http://androidforums.com/tips-tricks-incredible/126684-alternative-bump-charging.html#post1246038
My post reads:
I tried it and it worked like a charm. Using a $6.00 outlet timer, I pluged it in when I go to bed and it is set to charge for 2 hours to get to full charge. Then it is set to charge for 1/2 hour just before I wake up. System Panel confirms it is fully charged after the first 2 hour charge and then it drops to about 90% by the time the next charge starts. When I unplug its full and doesn't have the sudden drop it use to have. 1500 ma battery was still at 80% after 7 hours and 64% after 14 hours. :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Pertaining to the task killer. After all of the advice against the task killer I chose not to get one. It has been about a month and a half and the battery life is not great. But I have a pretty idea of how long it lasts. So I decided what the hell Ill give it a shot and delete it if it sucks. Well I installed at 10am and it is now 5 and my battery has only drained 20%. I have wifi running like always in the house and signal is one bar. Typically it is yellow by now and starting to disappoint. So there you have it my take. If for some reason by the end of the week everything changes I will update this post.

Upvote 0
So, I had some extra time the other night and wanted to really test the bump charging. After it reached the 1st "100%", I turned it off and it went about 30 mins until going green again. Then, I waited 10 seconds and plugged it back in. It then went about 10 mins, then again about 5 mins and I did this until it went green after only 30 seconds. I assumed this was about as full as the battery could be (I usually only bump 1 time).

After doing this, I did get almost 19 hours out of the battery without using wifi at all, as I usually do. So, I was happy with the time because I probably could get 1.5-2 days using wifi. But, I am a little annoyed about having to do this at this point. I really hope Froyo will fix some of this. I love the phone but I don't have time to bump charge over and over each day...

Reactions: coco savage
Upvote 0
So, I had some extra time the other night and wanted to really test the bump charging. After it reached the 1st "100%", I turned it off and it went about 30 mins until going green again. Then, I waited 10 seconds and plugged it back in. It then went about 10 mins, then again about 5 mins and I did this until it went green after only 30 seconds. I assumed this was about as full as the battery could be (I usually only bump 1 time).

After doing this, I did get almost 19 hours out of the battery without using wifi at all, as I usually do. So, I was happy with the time because I probably could get 1.5-2 days using wifi. But, I am a little annoyed about having to do this at this point. I really hope Froyo will fix some of this. I love the phone but I don't have time to bump charge over and over each day...

Interesting. And i agree, thats annoying and i just wont do it normally. I cannot allow myself to be THAT aware of my battery levels haha.

I would just buy the 3500 seido, if they made a friggin nice case for it!! I have the seido active case and love it to death, but the case that fits the 3500 is fugly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones