• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Z Fold 4 Battery Care/Charging

OldCroneFay

Lurker
Feb 8, 2023
Would anyone be able to help me understand how to care for the battery? I spent hours google searching and can't find the answers. I did stumble upon how to turn off fast charging. Does that mean I can use my regular 5W charger if I do that? That is what I am hoping to do. I don't need a fast charge and they are expensive (to replace everything I already have). I also read that it was best to charge in the by 20% and up to 80%, then read somewhere else that the phone is automatically set to not let you charge to 100% even though that is what the display says. At this point I am confused as H E double-hockey-sticks...Help me Obi Wan...

i am a power user, and i have to use my phone all the time for work. so i do not necessarily follow typical protocol to extend battery life. i also tend to keep phones for no longer than 3 years (its usually two years). i have a car charger that i can connect to my phone, when my battery runs low. i am also in and around hills that just ruins cell reception and thus really depletes my battery

so you have to think how long are you going to keep the phone? if not, then for how long(for me i might ditch my z fold 4 for the fold 5, if they include a s-pen slot which it is rumored to have). if it is not for very long, maybe no longer than a few years, then i would not get too crazy about 20% this or 80% that. for me i take my phone off charge at 100% to go to work. and when i get home and eventually go to sleep, i put my phone on charge, until i wake up the next morning....rinse and repeat.

but if you really want technical info about Li batteries and you have the time you can go here:
https://batteryuniversity.com/articles

it has a ton of info about them and teaches you the best practices for longer battery life. but i warn you they are not easy reads, but there is a ton of good info there.

now others here will chime in on what they do to keep a longer battery life.......but for me. i don't sweat the small stuff. i just plug and charge and go.

Last edited:
Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
i am a power user, and i have to use my phone all the time for work. so i do not necessarily follow typical protocol to extend battery life. i also tend to keep phones for no longer than 3 years (its usually two years). i have a car charger that i can connect to my phone, when my battery runs low. i also in and around hills that just ruins cell reception and thus really depletes my batteries.

so you have to think how long are you going to keep the phone? if not, then for how long(for me i might ditch my z fold 4 for the fold 5, if they include a s-pen slot which it is rumored to have). if it is not for very long, maybe no longer than a few years, then i would not get to crazy about 20% this or 80% that. for me i take my off charge at 100% and i come home. when i go to sleep i put my phone on charge, until i wake up the next morning....rinse and repeat.

but if you really want technical info about Li batteries and you have the time you can go here:
https://batteryuniversity.com/articles

it has a ton of info about them and teaches you the best practices for longer battery life. but i warn you they are not easy reads, but there is a ton of good info there.

now others here will chime in on what they do to keep a longer battery life.......but for me. i don't sweat the small stuff. i just plug and charge and go.

Thank you...I have usually "upgraded" within a few years. But with this costing sooo much, I am going to stick with it 'til it dies... I am looking forward to all the posts that will help me learn how to use it.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Thank you...I have usually "upgraded" within a few years. But with this costing sooo much, I am going to stick with it 'til it dies... I am looking forward to all the posts that will help me learn how to use it.
that is what AF is here for. i am looking forward to seeing you around the forums.

the main thing with batteries is that they have a finite amount of charging cycles. each time you charge it, you lose a small of amount of battery life.

edit: forgot to say.......welcome to AF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
that is what AF is here for. i am looking forward to seeing you around the forums.

the main thing with batteries is that they have a finite amount of charging cycles. each time you charge it, you lose a small of amount of battery life.

edit: forgot to say.......welcome to AF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks again...I don't know where to ask this so I suppose this is as good of place as any...Is it preferred to keep questions separated by topic in individual threads so that the feed will ressemble an "index"? Or...do y'all thrive on chaos?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Thanks again...I don't know where to ask this so I suppose this is as good of place as any...Is it preferred to keep questions separated by topic in individual threads so that the feed will ressemble an "index"? Or...do y'all thrive on chaos?
Well this is your thread. It's OK if the thread goes off topic. But it is better for other folks who might stumble on this thread. If we can keep the topic on best battery practice, the better it will be for other folks.

It's why we have so many forums. We have forums here ranging from food to sports as well as android forums.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones