• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Incredible on CBeyond??

ChiTownJim

Android Expert
Jan 9, 2010
Denver
I'm debating on getting the Incredible or N1 on my CBeyond service it's a CDMA service that I believe mainly uses Sprint service. From what I understand the N1 will be released as an Unlocked CDMA phone so you could basically use it on any CDMA service. Would it be possible to use the Incredible in the same manner??

I don't think its technically possible to "unlock" a CDMA phone as it uses ESN's instead of SIM cards. So, in order for you to have service, you must register that ESN through a carrier, and its exclusive to you and that carrier. Since it is a VZW exclusive phone, not only will your ESN be registered on VZW's system, but their bands do not match Sprint's CDMA bands. So even if CBeyond (I've never heard of that company nor do I know anything of it, so I don't know how it works) uses CDMA frequencies, they MUST match VZW's if you want to use a VZW phone (assuming you can still keep your ESN on VZW)

Upvote 0
I don't think its technically possible to "unlock" a CDMA phone as it uses ESN's instead of SIM cards. So, in order for you to have service, you must register that ESN through a carrier, and its exclusive to you and that carrier. Since it is a VZW exclusive phone, not only will your ESN be registered on VZW's system, but their bands do not match Sprint's CDMA bands. So even if CBeyond (I've never heard of that company nor do I know anything of it, so I don't know how it works) uses CDMA frequencies, they MUST match VZW's if you want to use a VZW phone (assuming you can still keep your ESN on VZW)

No, it's possible, but not easy as with a GSM phone. As you say, you don't really unlock it as much as it must be registered with the carrier. Sprint has been known to accept outside ESN's into their database, though you'll have to walk into a store and talk to someone. I think someone noted that Verizon has done this as well in the past, but it's not common practice. There are even ways to spoof a new ESN if the coded one is blacklisted. It's worth noting, though, that some services might not work quite right if you take one phone to another, but usually just the carrier sponsored apps/services that might be pre-loaded.

And where did you get that Sprint and Verizon are not compatible? They actually operate on the same bands. How do you think Sprint phones roam on Verizon's network?

Upvote 0
Cbeyond is just a Corporate Phone company they handle all of my T1 line, all my business phone lines and we also bundled in a few of there cell phones , So basiclly they handle all my communication in my business . I was told they use Sprint and Verizon towers for there service. What I want to do is cancel my Verizon service and buy the Incredible or if easier the N1 (which from what I've heard is not going to be a carrier specific phone) .. I also would probably take my Eris to one of my other lines with CBeyond hopefully . But the only for this to be phesable is if everything works, Data and Cell service as I need it to be reliable.
I'm probably gonna give my CBeyond rep a call this week and talk to him about, he told me I can buy another companies phone and use it on there network as they only offer BlackBerry devices and I'm so over this Curve I want to chuck it out my car window going 90

Upvote 0
No, it's possible, but not easy as with a GSM phone. As you say, you don't really unlock it as much as it must be registered with the carrier. Sprint has been known to accept outside ESN's into their database, though you'll have to walk into a store and talk to someone. I think someone noted that Verizon has done this as well in the past, but it's not common practice. There are even ways to spoof a new ESN if the coded one is blacklisted. It's worth noting, though, that some services might not work quite right if you take one phone to another, but usually just the carrier sponsored apps/services that might be pre-loaded.

And where did you get that Sprint and Verizon are not compatible? They actually operate on the same bands. How do you think Sprint phones roam on Verizon's network?
Typically, carriers are not known to accept outside exclusive phones into their own network. I'm not sure how Sprint works, however, VZW employees are given certain restrictions on which ESNs they can register. I would find it odd that Sprint would be OK accepting a Verizon exclusive phone, however, like I said, I don't use Sprint nor do I know anyone affliliated with them. I was merely trying to answer the OP's question.

VZW utilizes 800/1900/2100 bands, which I know atleast one is not present (if I recall correctly, Sprint uses solely the 1900 band?). So I mean, yes you can, in technicality, use their bands however coverage and call quality would suffer greatly, to where I'd think it'd be obsolete to even try.

Upvote 0
Cbeyond ONLY resells Sprint service.

Sprint and Verizon do have limited intercarrier roaming agreements. The roaming agreements do not make up for each others shortcomings in major areas. They are intended to be an agreement for remote areas where the return on investment is low to build new sites. Verizon offers rural area A as roaming offer in return for Sprint offering rural area B. Both carriers pay roaming costs to each other.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones