• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Incredible Tips and Tricks

The one thing I missed so far was the Gallery application from the Motorola Droid that synced with your Google Picasa Web Albums. Well it didn't take long to find a workaround.

Try this app:
Gallery3D Apk - xda-developers
You'll need to check off 'unknown sources' in your settings to run the installation:
Menu > Settings > Applications > Unknown Sources

picasa-on-incredible.jpg

Upvote 0
How do I get my default QWERTY keyboard to display horizontally. I verified that the Orientation checkbox is checked under the Sound & Display setting. Is there anything else I need to set up? :thinking:

Otherwise, this phone absolutely rocks.

Thanks in advance!

Some apps just don't work horizontally.

Is it a specific app or it is not working at all?

Upvote 0
in reference to the keyboard not working in landscape, there are some screens that it just wont go. I dont remember them off hand, but playing around today i noticed that some would not go.

Also, its kinds annoying than it only flips to landscape when the phone is shifted counter clockwise. I'm sure i can get used to it, but my former* phone had a slide out keyboard on the right so thats the way i tilted. Is it possible that this could be fixed by a simple patch to allow the accelerometer to tilt to that side as well?

*I swear i wrote "current" and had to go back and change it. Absolutely love that the incredible is now my "current" phone

Upvote 0
How do I get my default QWERTY keyboard to display horizontally. I verified that the Orientation checkbox is checked under the Sound & Display setting. Is there anything else I need to set up? :thinking:

Otherwise, this phone absolutely rocks.

Thanks in advance!

This is now working, not sure why it wasn't before. I was playing around, received a new text message, turned it to landscape and wa-la, the horizontal keyboard appeared. I didn't make any changes. Thanks for the suggestions, all is well now.:)

Upvote 0
OK, my first couple of dumb questions :)

1. Any way to rearrange the order of the screens? For example, to the right of the home screen is the "Favorites" screen, then the "Twitter" screen. Let's say I wanted to reverse them.

2. This was really aggravating... I use some complex character strings in passwords (not just letters and numbers as I maintain some fairly sensitive information) and I can not find the "greater than" (>) or "less than" (<) characters on the keyboard. Nonexistent? Hard to believe, but I can't find them.

Upvote 0
OK, here's an "A-ha".

This is a nice touch... I've got 4 email accounts set up using IMAP. When I bring up the mail app, the Incredible automatically checks for new mail. If I switch to a different account, it then checks that account. I've got all the accounts set to check at either 30 or 60 minute intervals, but it's nice that it checks it just by bringing up the mail app. It's not push mail, but coming from the WinMo world where I had to manually hit "Send/Receive" if I wanted to see if anything came in since the last auto-check, it's refreshing.

Upvote 0
Posted this over in the Wallpaper Thread, but will post here hoping it gets stickied.

I believe the wallpaper resolution of 960x800 is still correct.

When you pick a photo from your phone, the green crop box will show over 80% of your photo. Put your finger on the edge of the green square and arrows should appear. Pull the arrows to the edge of the photo. This should allow you to use the WHOLE picture, provided it is the correct aspect ratio of 1.2:1 (960:800). You can resize or move the box around any part of the picture as well.

-dibs

Upvote 0

1. Any way to rearrange the order of the screens? For example, to the right of the home screen is the "Favorites" screen, then the "Twitter" screen. Let's say I wanted to reverse them.

2. This was really aggravating... I use some complex character strings in passwords (not just letters and numbers as I maintain some fairly sensitive information) and I can not find the "greater than" (>) or "less than" (<) characters on the keyboard. Nonexistent? Hard to believe, but I can't find them.

1. dont know a quick way to do so, but since all the items on the screens are just widgets, you could just remove and add them as you please. instructions are in the manual from the evergreen thread. http://androidforums.com/attachment...c-incredible-specs-incredible-user-manual.pdf

2. when you go to the number keyboard (press the "12#" button at bottom), there should be an option to choose 1/4 of different keyboards. one of them should get you to what you want.

Upvote 0
When using the pre-installed alarm clock, for some reason, the default is to vibrate. Be sure to scroll down and un-check Vibrate so that it will actually ring for you. I learned the hard way :( - all three available alarms were defaulted to vibrate.

To get to alarm clock, tap your clock, then use the scroll bar at the bottom to get to the alarm clock.

Choose the alarm you plan to set. Underneath "Repeat", is where it's defaulted to vibrate.

Upvote 0

1. press and hold on anything on the screen. Once the green box shows around the box, you can drag it over to any of the other screens. If there is something there and it doesn't fit, it will float until you find a spot for it. Or you can remove it by dragging it down into 'remove'.

2. not sure...change your passwords :)

Upvote 0
You will have to install the .apk. Here's step by step instructions:

1. Download the .apk file.
2. Copy .apk file to microSD card (either via mounting the phone or through a memory card reader.
3. On your phone, allow installing unknown sources: Menu -> Settings -> Applications. Check Unknown sources.
5. Open Astro, browse to your microSD card.
6. Select the Swype .apk file and it will go through the install process.
7. Once installed you need to make it your default keyboard:
a. Go to Menu -> Settings -> Language & Keyboard. Check Swype.
b. Open a new text message.
c. Press and hold the text input box. A box will pop up. Select Input Method, then select Swype.

Done :)

Every time I try to download the .apk file I get the following message, "could not open a new window because you have already opened the maximum number".

HUH?

I don't think I have other windows open....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones