• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Inherited Nexus 6

bfldworker

Android Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2012
Tennessee
www.facebook.com
Got a question. I inherited a Nexus 6 from a cousin who passed away. Only thing wrong with it is cracked digitizer. I did not get account information being the death was from a MVA. I did a factory reset thinking all would be good. Now it's asking for a 4 digit pin. What is going on her and is there a way to get by this by rooting, unlocking bootloader or custom rom?

Sorry to hear about your loss, please accept our condolences.

TBH, even if anyone here has the legal expertise to advise on bypassing the security of the device, this probably would best be accomplished in person w/guidance from both the carrier & whomever is responsible for the estate regarding the deceased.

I state as much because it wouldn't be wise for anyone here to advise on how to bypass security of someone else's device,mainly to respect security concerns of others regarding their devices, would be a bit unsettling if the site aided in facilitating that, even with the best of intentions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
My sympathies with the loss of your cousin. :(

Frankly, any Nexus device should be easily restored to factory settings without any add security. I can think of a few things that might be going on. If the phone was under contract from a carrier, it most likely is carrier locked and requires an unlock code to move to a different carrier. For example, if your cousin was a Verizon customer and you put your AT&T sim in the phone, you might get a prompt to unlock it with a code or pin.

It could also be that the account has fallen into arrears due to your cousin's untimely passing or that the carrier was notified of the death and have somehow locked or frozen the account without actually blacklisting the device. If this is the case, there are a few things you may need to do before the device becomes unencumbered by the contract, most of which are up to the carrier's discretion. I have served as executor for a few estates and at the very least you'll need to show them a copy of the death certificate ... or the executor will.

Probate laws will differ by state so you probably will need to check with the next of kin/executor.

If you had access to the device prior to the reset, but afterwards are seeing a prompt for a pin, it could simply be some sort of carrier activation which should be able to be bypassed by clicking through the screen. Did your cousin have the phone rooted and a custom recovery installed? It might be a security feature of the recovery mode (although that would more likely pop up when trying to get into recovery and not after a reset ... just thinking out loud now.)

@KOLIO 's suggestion might be best to simply take it in to a carrier store from where the phone was purchased.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Ah, yes, they did implement a persistent pin number in 5.1 ... I don't use it, so I didn't think of that.

You'll need to unlock the bootloader first in order to flash it. The problem will be that in order to unlock the bootloader there is an option you must check in Developer options.

RPeA0cSiRW_0BQVEKYW5nOvWTp7oLXGcWXVjw70lX9k=w480-h852-no

I'm not sure how far you will get without that.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones