• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Initial Impressions of the leaked 2.3.4 SBF

hkklife

Apr 17, 2010
Well, I have not seen anyone posting any anything comprehensive on any of the forums I regularly visit, so I figured I'd post my experiences since I installed the new 2.3.4 leak yesterday (a bit over 24 hours ago)

Previously I had a stock, unrooted 2.3.3 install. I now have a stock, unrooted 2.3.4 install. I try to keep my phone lean and mean but as close to stock as possible.

The Good:
-Installation was painless and like any other SBFing, requiring one battery pull to get out of the bootloop.

-I did have some minor issues early on with reactivating my phone with *228 but that was probably just a glitch with VZW's system. All is well now, I just had to do *228 3 times before I was able to press 1.

-The unlock slider has unfortunately not been changed to the higher position like it is on the D3 & Bionic but it's a LOT smoother now.

-Overall everything seems so much smoother and more stable. Not necessarily that much faster (though a few things are) it just glides along smoothly. Feels like hardware acceleration is in full effect now.

-I have noticed a handful of small graphical changes: Contacts icon looks more three-dimensional. The Moto Task Manager has a new icon too. Task Manager is quite a bit faster to process running apps than it was before. We definitely DO NOT GET the snazzy 3D Blur like the D3 or the Bionic but it's definitely faster and smoother all around with a few minor UI changes. I wish we had at least gotten the updated camera app (more on this below)

-The Moto Blur News widget doesn't fail to load new news feeds (from what I have seen so far)

-Stock Gallery is faster and more stable than it was before but it's still sluggish and cumbersome. I will continue with QuickPic.

-Free RAM hovers around ~80MB-85MB free which is a huge improvement. Previously with the same load of apps (I keep my phone pretty lean & mean) it was ~65 to ~75MB free. Overall system performance is definitely more sluggish than the Bionic but feels about on par with the original X now. Remember, I have not yet rooted it, debloated it or optimized the system in any way.

-The old Market was initially present but it automatically updated itself after about an hour.

-The screen-off CRT animation has been officially added. That's a cute and unexpected bonus but it only works if you leave screen animations set to "on". The "some" animations choice is now gone (maybe this was removed in 2.3.3) so you just have all on or all off.

-3G speeds are apparently a tad better, as is reception. I ran Speedtest 3x with 2.3.3 and immediately again after installing 2.3.4. With 2.3.3 I never exceeded 1200kbps but on 3 runs with 2.3.4 I consistently got over 1300. Upload speeds dropped from the low 900s to the mid 800s, however.
Web browsing definitely feels "snappier". I think the stock browser has been tweaked a bit too.

-Wi-fi connections to my Linksys router definitely are faster now. Before there was a rather annoying authentication period before it was fully up and running.

-The phone boots up much faster than before. Probably an improvement of 10 to 15 seconds off of the total startup time.

-The music skipping IS still present but it's GREATLY reduced. Tegra2 games play just as well as they did before.

-The stock camera app is the single biggest improvement in 2.3.4 IMHO. What a huge relief! This has been plaguing me since my first day with the X2! Camera is still quite slow to launch but both auto-focus and continuous focus appear a tad faster. More importantly, the flash FINALLY is in sync with the shutter!! I have been through two brand new X2's and they both exhibited this problem in 2.2 and 2.3.3. I would say that the X2 is still a bit below the old X in low-light situations but I can at least take a reasonable pic now with full flash illumination. Flesh tones still don't look great in low light but they are definitely less "splotchy" than they were before. I previously had to keep exposore on +1 just to have a hope of a halfway decent shot and now I sometimes have to dial it down a notch. Thank you Moto!

-The onscreen top-right record/stop/shutter icons in both camera and camcorder mode are enlarged and much easier to see and toggle (whew!). I still would have liked to have received the new camrea app from the D3 and Bionic but at least this is a nice improvement. The right-side settings menu is also easier to toggle and responds much more swiftly.

-I have not done much video recording but a few quick 720p test vidoes (both to internal storage and a class 2 32GB Sandisk card) revealed no crashes or corrupted videos, though I got a few droped frames (nothing major). The live viewfinder image when in the camera app also seems a tad smoother than it was before. Basically, the X2 is now FINALLY up to X levels of camera performance or, perhaps even a bit better for video recording!

-I did not format my internal or external SD cards during the update but both are mounted faster after switching off USB mode when connected to my PC.

The Bad:

-I have had one random 3G drop in a bit over 24 hours of testing. I also had one instance where disconnecting from wi-fi kept me from going back into 3G. I had to toggle Airplane Mode on and off a few times before it finally reconnected. Also, any task involving radio switching (BT on/off or airplane mode on/off) is much smoother and faster than it was before.

-I still get major keyboard lag with haptic feedback turned on.

-The occasional SMS glitch using the stock app still occurs where I sent a message to someone and it sends but still shows the "unsent" text in the message creation box. Annoying, but not a biggie.

-It's too early to tell on battery life b/c I have been using it so extensively over the past day and hitting the wi-fi pretty hard. However, it DOES seem to be draining faster than before :-( I popped in my spare battery around noon and it's already down to 70% after 10 mins of phone calls and maybe 20 mins of web browsing over 3G (watching the big Apple event and Facebook mostly).

-Dolphin Browser HD seems to be even slower than it was before and has had a few incidents when it would not fully load a page that the stock browser would. Gotta look into this more.

If anything else comes up with further testing I will report it here. Feel free to send in any questions if you have 'em. I can definitely say that if the upcoming OTA is based on this build it will be a huge improvement for us X2 users in regards to camera operation, system stability, and overall smoothness. The battery life does concern me a bit but it's too early to panic just yet!

Thank you very much for that comprehensive write up, hkklife.

My X2 has only been in my hands for about 36 hours or so now, so not rooted yet (not even sure where the best method is for that on Gingerbread yet; still getting to know the phone ;)).

2.3.4 sounds like it addresses known issues (none of which I've yet seen on mine), especially if hardware acceleration is truly enabled.

Upvote 0
Has anyone else tried this out yet?? I am happy with my phone since GB has been out, but there is some choke points that this may help with. I have learned that some apps have caused my reboots and data signal drops. Mainly weather apps, they seemed to cause the bugs that I was having before. Haven't had a reboot or signal drop since GB and removing the apps.

Very tempted to try this out just because.....

Reactions: mrfixitx
Upvote 0
Sorry I didn't get back earlier with my updated observations. I am in a bit of a rush, so I'll repost and paraphrase some of what I wrote up for the AC forums earlier:

-I just performed 7 Quadrant runs back to back. I got no less than the low 2300's and now I am getting consistent scores at 2893 to 2890.

-Vellamo score are 670 and 690 (2 runs) which puts it a good bit below an Evo 3D and right above a MyTouch 4G.

-Rebooting is definitely faster now. I never bothered to time it but my 2.3.3 X2 was slooooow to reboot. This one easily shaves ~15 to 20 seconds or so off of the boot time, perhaps more.Again, I have basically an identical app load now that I did under 2.3.3. Just timed it: 20 secs from power on to "Drooooid" and from power on to the launcher in approx 63 seconds.

-Have been doing some heavy text messaging this afternoon and I have not yet encountered the freezing or stuck keyboard glitch at all. This occured all the time on both Froyo and the older GB on my X2. No reports of duplicate text messages either.

-Just tested HDMI dock mode functionality and noticed no glitches there.

-I initially had a major concern about potentially worse battery life. I swap between two BH6X batteries. I Thankfully, rerooting and performing a battery calibration did the trick as I figured it would! I calibrated it yesterday and then let the X2 run down all the way to 0 then put it back on the charger. To test it out, I unplugged my X2 off the charger at 2am then went back to sleep. I let it sit there idle all night (Nighttime saver) and it was still at 90% when I woke up. I then used it all day today with heavier-than-usual "normal" usage (wi-fi on almost constantly, BT on most of the time, screen brightness near max, more web browsing & phone calls than usual). The battery finally crapped out around 1pm EST, so I think things are back to normal. 11-12 hours of an average busy workday is pretty much what I would get before with my 9-month old BH6X batteries that have got some wear on them by now.

So I would definitely encourage everyone to root and do a battery calibration if they flash this ROM! Otherwise, it's still doing great for the most part. I have had 2 freezes (unresponsive onscreen buttons) while using the camera app and I get about 1-2 instances per day where 3G will not reconnect when I switch off wi-fi and I have to fiddle with airplane mode to bring it back. Other than those two particular glitches, I have not had any random reboots or lockups and the phone also appears to be running less hot than it was before.

Also, I can definitely confirm that signal strength is definitely better than it was. I tested it in the windowless basement of a friend's house where I got 0-1 bars before and I had 2 bars last night. RAM usage is also much better than it was before, though I still wish Moto had splurged on 16GB of internal storage and 768MB or 1GB RAM for the X2.

Overall, I would give this ROM a 8.5 or 9/10. Fix the 3G and camera bugs and give us the D3's Camera app and it'll be 10/10!

Reactions: coolpoete
Upvote 0
I previously had Juice Defender installed and it was doing horrible things to my 3G connection, especially under 2.3.3. I removed it and things improved a tad. I'm not going to reinstall it, that's for sure. The funny thing is, I do not recall my X2 having 3G drops under Froyo. Still, this 2.3.4 update is an enormous step forwards. Kudos to Moto for finally turning the X2 into a solid phone!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones