• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Input Json from external file or from Dropbox

Android Upgrades have come a long way since I've been able work my app.
To upgrade a feature in my app, I'm unable to find out how to do it. For security purposes, android no longer allows reads or writes for dirs outside the app's project structure.
My feature was to backup and restore json data for the sqlite database. The reasoning is if a user upgrades their phone, they could install my app, then rebuild the database from the data of their prior phone.
I've looked at Dropbox. Not able to get it working. And, I'm not sure if the data goes to my Dropbox or the user's Dropbox. I'm willing to have it on my Dropbox because it should be low volume, but not sure. Dropbox is more secure because it does not go through external dirs.
Is there some way to accomplish this feature and can someone help with Dropbox implementation.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones