• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Inspire or Iphone4?!?!?!

Okay. Until 5 mins ago ive been thinking about getting the Inspire. I am currently using a iphone 1gen... Dont ask! Long story! LOL anyways. The past 2 weeks i was waiting for att to put up some refurbished iphone 4s. So two days ago, i sad=id forget the iphone 4. THere has to be another phone out there, thats just as good, if not, better. Then i got "inspired" I stoped at the att store yesterday, played with the phone and its a great device! But now i am torn between the two! I like the iphone for the mp3 abilities but the OS is so 4 years ago if you know what i mean... Same old OS. Compared to the Android/HTC Sense. Worst case scenario, i buy the inspire and dont like it. Then wait for more refurb iphone 4s... what to do, what to do.... decisions, decisions. is the inspire that great? How does the mp3 player compare to the iphone? Thats a big concern for me. I love using my phone for listening to music. Not a fan of streaming music.

I came from iphone 4, went to Captivate, back to iphone 4 and now with the Inspire. I gotta say, the iphone OS is so boring and bland people who are sucked into don't know anything else. I love apple products as I have had an ipod and two macbooks and they are great. The iphone OS is so locked down its users have no idea. It took Apple 3 years to put a flash on their phone not to mention multiple OS upgrades to get simple things like semi-multitasking, better email, etc. With the iphone you have a limit to the text messages tones to which you can not create your own. With android you can make anything a text, ringtone, or notification tone. The Android music player on the inspire is just like the iphone in terms of being user friendly, with album art swipe. The music player though has a lot more custom options. Yes its not as simple as just plugging in and syncing but it's not an hard task to use doubletwist, or even just drag and drop the songs you want onto your phone. Not to completely bust the iphone as its a great interface, but its very simple, very plain, and the fact that at least 4/5 people have them it will be hard to pick your phone out of a crowd. Not to mention 3.5 screen is tiny. The Captivate had 4.0 and the Inspire has 4.3. These sizes are the perfect size for a smartphone for every purpose. Android may take a few more days to get used to but you will be impressed with the customization you can do with your phone.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies! I might pull the trigger on the inspire! I have 30days but i just hope i wont have to return it. I love the simplicity of the iphone but also dislike it at times too. I was really blown away by the customizations, and the endless possibilities the phone has. Apps are not the big of a deal to me. I know android is catching up but i like the feel, size and OS of the phone. When i walked out of the att store i was really sold on it!, i have a Mac. WIll this phone sync easily with it? Or do i have to jump through hoops to get it going. Syncing contacts, music, photos, calenders, ect...

Upvote 0
Plus, since your main concern is playing mp3's, you have choices on music players now. I prefer Winamp, but the stock player is pretty good too. There's other ones out there but since I've been using Winamp I've forgotten what they are.

Winamp will sync your music over wifi to your Inspire, but it does take a while. Not a big deal though if you set it to autosync and leave your wifi on.

Upvote 0
To the OP, you are on a 1st gen iphone so I'm gonna assume you had it or a while, which means you are a dude with patience. You mention that you are bored of iOS, which is understandable if you used it for so long. However in a April Apple is going to hold its annual event of showing off their new version of iOS. Since you are a patient person, why not just wait until then to see what iOS 5 has to offer before jumping on Android? That way a month from now you are kicking yourself because you may like iOS 5.

Upvote 0
The only thing disappointing is the speaker on this thing, honestly. It's nice but could be a little louder, just don't turn on SRS if playing through the speaker (with headphones it's probably better). SRS makes the volume lower compared to the Dolby Mobile but it adds bass (I can hear distortion through the speaker) so its probably better when you have ear buds in.

I use DoubleTwist because its a lot easier to get to the song you want than the stock player, but there is no choice audio equalizer choice through it (unless the setting from the stock works through doubletwist, haven't checked it though).

The battery life is not an issue as long as you do some steps:

1. Drain battery to dead or almost dead the first few days and leave in the charger as long as you can (learned from another thread this teaches the battery how much it can hold)

2. Turn off auto brightness level and get the Brightness widget, I have mine set to 25%, you can easily see with it. If outside and its bright just click the widget and tap 50/75/100% and bam its brighter.

3. There is no exit for basically all apps on this, except Dolphin HD browser, so they will run in the background for a while until the phone decides its inactive so it will close it to free up RAM. Works great but I use Advanced Task Killer and run it every 4-6hours or after I've been going on a bunch of things for a period of time.

Taking these steps above, had the phone for exactly 1 wk now, with moderate use I got 25+ hrs of use on a single charge (yesterday 330pm took off charger and today around 7pm I put it back on at 15% life left)....battery widget is also great to see how much battery life is left :)

Trust me you won't be disappointed with this phone! I love it! My first Android OS phone coming from the ultra boring BB Curve 8900

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones