• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Install Apps from SD Card

How does all this work in regards to actual Device updates? Luckily, they just released one and it's already installed for mine phone. But to my understanding, like an Unlocked iPhone, if you update after it's been unlocked it wipes everything, or just prevents the update?

Yeah - those... Personally I stay away from them since they will in most cases bork you. You will loose root in pretty much all circumstances and then need to re root. If your rooting method relies on exploiting holes in the OS then it may be that those holes are closed off in the update. If you have an unlocked bootloader then that's usually an easy way to regain root. There are mentions of apps that are designed to keep your root across updates - I myself have never tried any so can't vouch for them.

That said the chances are most updates will fail if you try to apply them once you have started to remove system apps or bloatware.

Another direction is to use a custom rom - the updates there are a lot more fluid and easier to handle.

For my part I rooted on FroYo and stayed there. I've not taken any updates since then and it's probably just as well since the latest OTA for my phone seems to causing no end of problems for my Incredible brethren...

Upvote 0
How does all this work in regards to actual Device updates? Luckily, they just released one and it's already installed for mine phone. But to my understanding, like an Unlocked iPhone, if you update after it's been unlocked it wipes everything, or just prevents the update?

All I did is go into system and delete the folder that accepts updates and then there's no way for you to ever get an update again, or use autostarts the app, or like ct mod does not get updates either. just throwing some more options out there at you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones